OSMC first impressions on Pi 3

Now to try to get on the 5GHz network wih the Edimax USB dongle.
First disable the internal Pi 3 Wifi adapter.
Search of the forum gives two obscure suggestions:

First this one, with no explanation of what it exactly does (perhaps more than I want?),

and a second option, blacklisting the drivers for the onboard Broadcom wifi as per over in the RaspberryPi forum

/etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf

#wifi
blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist brcmutil

Let’s see which works. Can I edit this comfortably from the My OSMC Pi Config Editor? Let’s try the blacklist option first, as I understand what it will do. Hmm, strange editor. And is this config.txt just for OSMC, or SDcard wide, so also for LibreElec? Well, I can soon find out now I have my Noobs multiboot…

Nope. The blacklist option doesn’t work. The onboard Wifi is still there.

I thought maybe switch back to OSMC skin for better editor experience, but that was a mistake. Now when I get into the editor and select a line, the edit or delete dialogue appears in the darkened background! Behind the config.txt lines! Ouch. Why not simply Nano, which everyone wil get along with, instead of this prehistoric attempt at a text editor?

Okay, better get back to Confluence and try the other method (dtoverlay=sdhost)…
Oooh, switching skins immediately gives really weird often corrupted results, better reboot every time… (I can imagine, but it should suggest or force that).

Yep, that second option (dtoverlay=sdhost) worked. Now there’s only one 2.4GHz plus my 5GHz. And clicking on the 5GHz even allows me to connect!

So summarizing:

Start situation:
Pi 3 with OSMC and Edimax USB Wifi dongle.
OSMC lists both onboard and Edimax 2.4GHz plus the Edimax 5GHz. wlan number is arbitrary? and not physical?
Whichever wlan 2.4GHz I choose it will change to the other wlan.
Choosing 5GHz does nothing, clicking does nothing.

First attempt to disable onboard Wifi with blacklist in OSMC config editor is to no avail.

Second attempt with quick and dirty solution in (dtoverlay=sdhost) DOES work.

Now to be seen how stable the Edimax 5GHz is. Any issues will be in a separate thread if here at all.