OSMC Freezing Missing Banners Thumbnails unresponsive UI current + Krypton versions RPi1 2 3

If you’d like to help start following the above instructions. Another data point could be helpful.

@sam_nazarko So to be clear you are saying do both of these and then reboot. That will update the pi to the latest firmware.

I left it playing through a playlist overnight. All is well this morning. Thumbnails menus etc. No freezing issues.

Cheers
Spart

Yep

vcgencmd get_mem arm
vcgencmd get_mem gpu

Are useful for determining exactly how the firmware has split the memory.
fixup_x.dat must always be updated with the corresponding start_x.elf or firmware won’t be able to control the arm/gpu memory split.

OK It is now running with the new start_x.elf and fixup_x.dat I will give it another good test then what are the next steps?

Memory allocation/split looks fine.
osmc@osmc:~$ vcgencmd get_mem arm
arm=368M
osmc@osmc:~$ vcgencmd get_mem gpu
gpu=144M
osmc@osmc:~$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 361996 253412 108584 4532 14256 145240
-/+ buffers/cache: 93916 268080
Swap: 0 0 0
osmc@osmc:~$

Cheers
Spart

Kernel next - see:

You want to update to the Release kernel (the one listed above). I’d suggest trying to run that for 24 hours too. If you don’t have problems, then I’d expect upgrading Kodi to introduce the problem (and perhaps give us a clue where the issue may be).

@sam_nazarko OK Sam, is there an easy way to go back to the old kernel if that is the issue, or do I need to reflash again?

Cheers
Spart

@popcornmix

This is the Kernel install transcript.
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install rbp1-image-4.4.8-3-osmc
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Suggested packages:
fdutils rbp1-doc-4.4.8-3-osmc rbp1-source-4.4.8-3-osmc rbp1-image-4.4.8-3-osmc-dbg
rbp1-manual-4.4.8-3-osmc
Recommended packages:
kernel-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
rbp1-image-4.4.8-3-osmc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/21.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 80.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages …
Selecting previously unselected package rbp1-image-4.4.8-3-osmc.
(Reading database … 22658 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/rbp1-image-4.4.8-3-osmc_3_armhf.deb …
Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/preinst.d/001-preprocess-rbp 4.4.8-3-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.8-3-osmc
Done.
Unpacking rbp1-image-4.4.8-3-osmc (3) …
Setting up rbp1-image-4.4.8-3-osmc (3) …

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.4.8-3-osmc/build
However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.4.8-3-osmc/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.4.8-3-osmc/source
However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.4.8-3-osmc/source

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.4.8-3-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.8-3-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/inform-updater 4.4.8-3-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.8-3-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.8-3-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.8-3-osmc
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/process-vmlinuz-rbp 4.4.8-3-osmc /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.8-3-osmc

I have no idea if this is what you were expecting!

Cheers
Spart

That looks fine, and if you reboot, do you now see 4.4.8-3 as your kernel version when you run uname -a. If so, then this means your kernel has been updated.

Yes, it seems to be fine. No issues so far. Next steps?

Cheers
Spart

Leave it a few more hours.

Then try:

sudo apt-get install rbp1-mediacenter-osmc

And then I suspect the freezes will begin…

Sam

Sam before we go and update mediacenter as a big bang and come full circle to where we started. Is there a way to upgrade in small chunks to identify the issue. Otherwise all the last 3 days will have proven is that the firmware and kernel with the Feb build are not at odds.

BTW it is working fine no freezing or thumbnail issues and has been playing media pretty much non stop for the last 2 days.

Cheers
Spart

Hi Spart,

These are the most atomic that upgrades can be so far. There are four components that can be at play:

• Kernel
  • Firmware
  • Kodi
  • System libs (other packages)

So far, we’ve ruled out two. I’m not convinced it would be an issue with other packages (system libs), but it’s possible.

If the problem lies in Kodi, we can start bisecting builds. I have already discussed this with @popcornmix today.

@sam_nazarko @popcornmix So upgrade mediacenter or not?

Cheers
Spart

Go for it.

Wilco.

@sam_nazarko @popcornmix

Just before pushing the button I wondered what a dist-upgrade would say:
osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Building dependency tree
Calculating upgrade… The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libasn1-8-heimdal libgssapi3-heimdal libhcrypto4-heimdal libheimbase1-heimdal libheimntlm0-heimdal
libhx509-5-heimdal libkrb5-26-heimdal libroken18-heimdal libwind0-heimdal rbp1-image-4.4.3-1-osmc
Use ‘apt-get autoremove’ to remove them.
Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
armv6l-bluez-osmc
The following packages will be upgraded:
apt apt-utils armv6l-libnfs-osmc armv6l-libsqlite-osmc armv6l-network-osmc armv6l-remote-osmc
base-files-osmc bind9-host bluez gnupg gpgv initramfs-tools libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg4.12 libbind9-90
libc-bin libc6 libdns100 libexpat1 libgif4 libgraphite2-3 libgudev-1.0-0 libhogweed2 libidn11 libisc95
libisccc90 libisccfg90 libjasper1 libldb1 liblwres90 libnettle4 libpam-systemd libpcre3 libpcrecpp0
libsmbclient libssl1.0.0 libsystemd0 libtalloc2 libtasn1-6 libtdb1 libtevent0 libudev1 libwbclient0
locales mediacenter-addon-osmc multiarch-support openssh-client openssh-server openssh-sftp-server
openssl python-talloc rbp-bootloader-osmc rbp-userland-osmc rbp1-kernel-osmc rbp1-libcec-osmc
rbp1-mediacenter-osmc samba-common samba-libs systemd systemd-sysv tzdata udev wireless-firmware-osmc
63 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/86.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 5,015 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Anything jump out at you?

Cheers
Spart

Do not dist-upgrade!

Is what you should be running.

If you do a full dist-upgrade, you are bumping all of the system libs. This is not what we want to do. Then if the problems start we cannot isolate it to any package.

OK just wondered!

Transcript:

osmc@osmc:~$ sudo apt-get install rbp1-mediacenter-osmc
Building dependency tree
The following packages will be upgraded:
rbp1-mediacenter-osmc
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 62 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/30.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 392 kB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database … 24443 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/rbp1-mediacenter-osmc_16.1.0-3_armhf.deb …
Unpacking rbp1-mediacenter-osmc (16.1.0-3) over (16.0.0-1) …
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) …
Setting up rbp1-mediacenter-osmc (16.1.0-3) …

Cheers
Spart