OSMC Hot Spot and Tvheadend

Current configuration:
RPi 3B (v 1.2),
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD dual USB tuner
TVHeadend 4.2.8.

Objective:
Video/movie (stored on separate drive) and OTA TV viewing at remote camp.

• Hardware/software appears to be installed, configured, and operating fine while logged into my (Kansas City) home network. Local OTA broadcasts detected, and viewable.
  • To date, attempts to scan/map services at the ‘remote’ camp have been unsuccessful.
  • Currently, at ‘remote’ camp, (ca. 20+) OTA broadcasts are received/converted using a digital-analog
    converter, and viewed on vintage CRT TV. Assumption is; if the A/D converter can pick up signals, Tvheadend should, as well.
  • All configuration parameters are the same when scanning in both locations with the exception of connection to Tvheadend. There is no available internet at ‘remote’ camp. Connection to Tvheadend (at camp) is achieved using the OSMC provided Hot Spot.
  • As the Hot Spot seems to be the one significant difference, local wisdom (Tvheadend forum) points to this as a likely culprit, indicating that Tvheadend and Hot Spots often do not ‘play well together’. I’m making arrangements to check this in the coming weeks, and will report back.

I fully appreciate that this is likely a Tvheadend feature, but think it is good information to pass along to OSMC users as well. Please feel free to comment if you have additional thoughts on this matter.

Current configuration:
RPi 3B (v 1.2),
Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD dual USB tuner
TVHeadend 4.2.8.

Objective:
Video/movie (stored on separate drive) and OTA TV viewing at ‘remote’ location.

Question:
How can I get this working?

All hardware/software appears to be installed, configured, and operating fine. While logged into my home network (192.168.xx.xxx), Tvheadend scan detects ‘local’ OTA broadcasts, and these are viewable.
My ‘remote’ camper is equipped with a fixed antenna. I am currently able to receive OTA TV broadcasts using either a digital TV or an A/D converter. I assume my RPi/OSMC/Tvheadend should perform at least as good as either of these. That is, I assume signal strength is adequate.

Issue:
Attempts to scan/view OTA TV at my ‘remote’ location using my RPi/OSMC/Tvheadend equipment have been unsuccessful. In order to use my RPi/OSMC/Tvheadend equipment I need to have Tvheadend scan for OTA broadcasts at my ‘remote’ location. This requires connecting to Tvheadend using a separate device. There is no available network at my ‘remote’ location.

Observations:
• OSMC ‘Hot Spot’
In lieu of a Network, OSMC can generate a ‘Hot Spot’. With OSMC ‘Hot Spot’ active, I logged on the ‘Hot Spot’ with my laptop, and was able to connect to the Tvheadend port. However, with this arrangement, Tvheadend does not ‘save’ configuration parameters, and does not initiate a ‘Forced Scan’. Subsequent discussion (on the Tvheadend forum) indicates that Tvheadend does not ‘play well’ with ‘Hot Spot’.
Connecting to the Tvheadend (9981) port using the OSMC Hot Spot is not a viable solution.
• Public Network
Attempted to utilize a public network in a nearby (to my ‘remote’ location) town library. Successfully logged both the RPi and laptop onto the Library network (RPi Assigned IP: 10.220.1.137). However I was unable to connect to the Tvheadend (9981) port. Connection continued to ‘time-out’. Still at the library, I re-engaged the OSMC ‘Hot Spot’. I was able to connect to the Tvheadend (9981) port, but (again) was unable to initiate ‘Forced Scan’.
Connecting to the Tvheadend (9981) port using a Public Network appears to also not be a viable solution. I suppose it is possible that there is something unique about a Public Network that might not allow this connection. Any insight would be appreciated.

OK, I’m currently out of ideas. I assume (at this point) I cannot Re-scan for OTA broadcasts with Tvheadend without a ‘formal’ network connection. Dropping this project for now, and moving on with ‘plan B’. I’ll check back from time-to-time to see if anyone has wisdom to share. Thanks for the comments.