OSMC on Raspberry Pi- no network

Thanks for supplying further details - I’ve worked out exactly what is going wrong and there are two aspects to the problem.

The latest version of connman that we are using (1.29) does not seem to like leading zeros on the IP address field. It logs the following error in the log:

Jun 19 12:17:03 rpi2 connmand[255]: connman_inet_set_address: Operation not permitted
Jun 19 12:17:03 rpi2 connmand[255]: connman_inet_clear_address: Operation not permitted

Strangely, it doesn’t seem to mind if the netmask, gateway or DNS have leading zeros…

Furthermore, this was not the case in connman 1.22 which we were using in earlier releases, (I forget when we switched, but it was back around Alpha 4 or RC1) as I’m pretty sure I remember testing leading zeros when the preseed script was originally written, and they worked at that time.

Nothing has changed in that part of the preseed script since then but apparently connman is now more fussy, so I will strip off any leading zeros before passing them to connman. Easy fix.

However this testing revealed another bug which is an interaction between connman and our current GUI design. When the incorrectly formatted IP address is passed to connman it ends up in a strange limbo state where it is stuck forever in “connecting” state, (Ac in connmanctl) and is not configured to use either DHCP or Static IP. (no settings file under the ethernet interface in /var/lib)

Our Networking GUI interprets this as the network being down (unknown state) and therefore does not display the controls that would allow you to enter a static IP configuration to get yourself out of this limbo state.

(Rebooting however does revert connman back to DHCP and make it possible to edit settings again)

So the fix for this will be to still display the Configure Network Manually control provided the link layer connection is up. This has the added advantage that on a network with no DHCP server you don’t have to wait a minute before you can configure a static configuration.

Our networking GUI guy is going away on holiday for a bit but we will hopefully have both these issues fixed in time for the final release.

Great, that describes the issue. I thought it would be an easy coding fix but a potentially discouraging problem for people who chose the simple Installer tool.

I think I first came across this shortcut in Gnome Desktop on Solaris 8. I don’t recall it in any earlier X11 window managers. I’m sure you’ll use it frequently now you know it :-)

The preseeding script has now been fixed to format the IP addresses properly:

That solves most of the problem and will be included in the next major release. (Sending it out as an update doesn’t help anyone as by the time you installed an update the preseed script has already run)

The networking GUI issue is going to take longer though - I’m told that the code needs quite a bit of re-factoring to properly handle this situation so it might or might not make it in in time for the 1.0 release.

Still unable to enter static ip in latest stable release. DHCP works, but static option doesn’t allow ip details to be entered.

Thanx
Jules

Yes it does. Press OK on the option that says “Configure Network Manually” then move down to each entry you want to change (don’t go left or right by mistake) and edit the entries, then go down to Apply and press OK.