OSMC on RPI3B+

Can OSMC be run directly on the new Pi3B+ or is there gonna be some tweaking for the new hardware?

p.s: Don’t own a 3B+ yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless there is a new version of the RPi3 (the old has been available for quite a while - see posts), you just run the RPi2/3 OSMC version.
Derek

Well,

So question is if the LAN or Wifi drivers need updates but I guess all should work.

Came here to ask the same question :smiley:

SOC: Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC
CPU: 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
WIFI: Dual-band 802.11ac wireless LAN (2.4GHz and 5GHz ) and Bluetooth 4.2
Ethernet: Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0 (max 300 Mbps). Power-over-Ethernet support (withseparate PoE HAT). Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting.
Thermal management: Yes
Video: Yes – VideoCore IV 3D. Full-size HDMI

Awesome news :grinning:

Will we able to just swap over the SD card from rpi3 to B+?

I hope the updated Bluetooth will solve the issues with the onboard Bluetooth on current rpi3, especially the a2dp streaming.

Hats off to the raspberry pi team :+1:

Does it work with the new Pi 3 B+?

@MarkusLange - that’s as good as we can get, until some testing has been done
Derek

I’ve had a sample unit for some time, so it’s safe to say that support for the board has been added.

There will be a post about this later today.

Sam

4 Likes

See OSMC's March update is here with Pi 3 B+ support - OSMC for more information.

hmm… the B+ release was a bolt out of the blue for me, there were no indication what so ever.

Was this a guarded secret and you were under a NDA or was I just dumb to not to know about the B+ version earlier?

We receive advance notifications of hardware refreshes so we can prepare OSMC in time for launch days.

We do not reveal things ahead of the schedule. This would be damaging to a lot of parties and we would have nothing to gain from it.

Sam

1 Like

Omg… it’s definilly time to jump from my Pi2 to this new Pi3B+.

I don’t know if it’s a correct thread but i try to ask. On the specification i can read:

Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0 (maximum throughput 300 Mbps)

It’s not a REAL Gigabit Ethernet ? Theory a Gigabit can support 1000Mbps… this is specified maximum 300Mbps. The fact say it’s not a Gigabit lan :slight_smile:

Well it is a “real” gigabit ethernet chip but as the main chip only has USB2 you are limited to 300MBps throughput

1 Like

Yes and no. I’d guess that the actual port is GB, but since it’s USB 2.0 connected it’s limited by USB speeds.

For everyday real use, I don’t see this being a problem, unless you are planning on using the Pi as a NAS service UHD content.

1 Like

I have a 4G dongle and a USB HDD plugged into my Pi. Not expecting great things from the wired LAN throughput with that but lets see.

@bmillham @fzinken yeah… it’s only a my curiosity.

For example I don’t know if also on my pc i have a real 1000Mbps of maximum throughtput.

I have another question… i need to first update to march release on actually Pi2 and only after i can put the actual SD on a new Pi3+ or i can also update from actual release ?

Correct, until the new Image is published you first need to upgrade in the Pi2/3 before using the card in the Pi3+

1 Like

Images are now updated and a fresh install of Pi3B+ is possible.

Sam is testing the Pi4 and 5 against OSMC and has allready the specs from the Pi6 :stuck_out_tongue:

ha ha… I wasn’t sure if you were being funny or sarcastic, but as Sam confirmed, he did have access to the Pi much before the general release. :wink: