OSMC Overheating RP3 badly

I just tried OSMC. Installed at one RP3. While Watching HD Live stream, overheating alarm is poping up after some 15 minutes of watching. Temperature 80+C.

Then tried building TvHeadEnd server on a second RP3. With RP3 doing nothing, temperature was 80C+ while I was trying to setup TVheadend over the Web interface. Plus, the TVheadend was VERY unresponsive while killing all the free memory in my PC!

HW info in Kodi says they are constantly (even when idle) at 1200 MHz.

CurrentlyRP3 with OSMC is idling (showing only HW info) at 60C and 1200 MHz, while another one with OpenElec and TVheadend server running is at 50C and 600 MHz!

Both RP3’s work perfectly with OpenElec for months and I did not even know about high temperature alarm until I tried OSMC. All RPis have hardware MPEG2 licences used to watch LiveTV SD and FullHD.

This can not be normal? What is wrong here? The same RPis work cool 50’s C with OpenElec but are burning up 80C+ with OSMC?

<85C is fine.

Have you checked the power supply?

This is where I get a bit confused.

• Where is TVHeadend running?
  • What are you building TVHeadend on?

I’m not sure why free memory on your PC would be impacted at all.

You say OpenELEC did not have these issues. Did you run TVHeadend on it and did you have the exact same environment? If so – a log will be handy to identify the problem.

I can’t think of anything off the top of my head that could be the cause of your problem, but if you can provide some more informarion then I am sure we can get to the root of the problem quickly. We haven’t really heard of this problem before, but we have heard of some high temperatures (albeit non-fatal), when playing back H265 content on Pi.

Sam

Trying to be brief :)…
Power supplies are both “original” from ModMyPi, but as I am experimenting, currently only one RP3 is on 2,5A while another is on 2A from RP2. But, no problem at all with OpenElec.

TVheadend server is at the second RP3. But, when I try to configure it using my PC and Firefox, it becomes extremely unrsponsive and my PC memory gets gobled up (memory leak caused by Web page Tvheadend).

I get Temperature alert (80C) while watching HD, but also, when I was only trying to configure TVheadend server and Kodi was idling. I used the same configuration, but obviously, older versions of certain programs on my RPis.

On the plus side, TVheadend works with my tuners normally, as in OpenElec. I will try them out at RP2 tommorow.

Which logs should I collect?

What you describe would be a systemic problem. We need to see all logs. Use the MyOSMC log uploader. Provide the resulting URL.

You are introducing more variables here.

Use the same PSU, same Pi, same SD and connected peripherals for all tests with OE and OSMC.

This sounds like a bug with your browser, or possibly TVHeadend. However we have a lot of TVHeadend users and haven’t heard this one. I’d try clearing cache, using another browser etc…

Use the same hardware as you did on OE, and I suspect your problems will go away :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Pi3 overheating with Kodi 18