OSMC + python 3.8

Hello fellow OSMCers,

Sorry, this is my first post and I’m asking for guidance.

I used to be big user of Kodi many years ago, but real life got in the way and I haven’t used it in a very long time. A friend has a Vero 4k and he asked me for help, so I’ve been pulled back in, and so far really enjoying it :grin:

Now for my question: the friend uses a Kodi add-on that needs Python 3.8, the add-on has been waiting a year for an update to python 3.9, which seems to be stuck.

I’ve compiled python 3.8 and set it as the default python in Debian but Kodi still won’t pick it up, I suppose it’s because Kodi was compiled with 3.9.

So, until this add-on is updated, is there way to find an older image of OSMC that uses python 3.8?

Or is there a way to get Kodi to use 3.8 so that add-on can load?

Any help would save me more work… :sweat_smile:

We track the Python version in Debian, so this wouldn’t be trivial unfortunately.

You could do a fresh install of an older version of OSMC and just not update.

Old images can be found [HERE] and the ones for the Vero 4K/+ are the ones with “vero3” in the file name.

1 Like

You could do a fresh install of an older version of OSMC and just not update.

Old images can be found [HERE ] and the ones for the Vero 4K/+ are the ones with “vero3” in the file name.

This is perfect!

According to the internet, Debian started using Python 3.9 as default from version 11 (Bullseye), and according to ChatGPT, OSMC started using Bullseye in the September 2022 update. I know this might not be 100% correct, but it’s a great starting point.

Then when the stupid addon is updated to use Python 3.9 I can update to the latest version of OSMC!

Thanks, Darwindesign and sam_nazarko!

1 Like