OSMC RC Update on RPI2 Video/Audio Stattering issue (Only when Subtitles are Enabled)

@popcornmix
I noticed that when I skip forward VQ goes to 99% and video shutter. when I goes down to 30-40% it plays smooth (after a couple of seconds)

I didn’t have that shutter in Gotham. Using UI default settings + subtitles (just installed helix+osmc in new RPI 2)
What helped was disabled omxplayer and enable sync with video. But still Gotham playback was way more smoother (RPI 1)
What’s the advanced settings to make playback like Gotham? I played using omx player.

code info :

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 42mn 31s
Bit rate : 4 950 Kbps
Width : 1 916 pixels
Height : 1 076 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.100
Stream size : 1.47 GiB (91%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Color range : Limited

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 42mn 31s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 117 MiB (7%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

You misunderstood, I told a user that I have my own test build that I made on Friday (to test a fix for the same issue he reported).
There is no time schedule for nightlies at the moment, there are a few things to figure out e.g. how to handle them in a good way so it don´t interfere with the stock install.
Again, no date set for nightlies.

@nirvana80 I do. using omxplayer + subtitles. Are you using which player? 1080p UI and 1080p video

checked
https://github. com /samnazarko/osmc/commit/bc0d9f1be0c7203df2a61d7e9133e38206c04463

and this is what changed:
[rbp/omxplayer] When opening a stream don’t try to update gui so often
Revert "[omxplayer] Attempt to fix missing subtitles after seek
[omxplayer] Limit subtitle updates to 10fps to avoid stuttering with closed captions

maybe this issue was fixed in firmware not in kodi code

Looking forward to an update soon for OSMC, I skip ahead a lot :slight_smile: and use subs so I see this every day.

/M

Hello fernandog,

How do you install the patch in your github link?

My OSMC RC has no updates, will that patch be pushed in the next release or is there a way to apply it earlier?

I still have the problem by the way.

thanks

I didnt applied. i just pointed what changed.

Issues seems fixed with update from today.
kodi version 14.2
firmware Apr 6

Subtitles sometimes disappear while skipping. Looks like this issue video issue was caused by a possible fix to subtitle skipping problem.
is that it @popcornmix ?
thanks

Yeap cool, the issue has been fixed in this kodi release.

With the latest update on RC3 this problem/bug again occurs, is there a quick fix to this problem?

I’m using the RPI2 with OSMC RC3, the problem occurs with some video files with local subtitles. It’s not with a particular videotype and the encode-type isn’t the problem (or the subtitles) because the videofiles and the subtitles have always worked properly (on OSMC RC3 en Xbian)

Update:

• Have tried to lower the GUI resolution (didn’t work)
  • Have checked the encode-type (fully compatible with xbmc/kodi)
  • Have tried multiple file-types (mkv, mp4, avi)
  • Have tried multiple file-resolutions (480p,720p, 1080p, wont make any difference)

Solution:

• Delete local subtitle, plays properly after that. Works on all the video files with this problem.

@oetkaa try enabling omxplayer and disable mmal. I don’t have this problem anymore.

Thanks for the reply, but it didn’t completely solve the problem.

1. Some of the videos do play now without removing the subtitles (which saves a lot of time) but I still need to disable the subtitles to get them to play.
  2. Some of the videos with the disabled subtitles still have problems playing.
  3. Without MMAL there were huge framedrops when using the OSD while playing a video (doesn’t normally happen)

Is this by the way only a RPi2 problem? I also have a RPi B+.

Update:
Only using omxplayer seems to crash osmc when playing some hd videos. With MMAL enabled or both disabled osmc doesn’t crash.

I don’t think it is the same issue. I don’t have any issue at all.
It’s probably something related to your particualr setup, maybe some plugin you have installed could be causing this.