OSMC Remote Control Power button?

Hi,

My apologies if i got this in the wrong area of the forums, and i searched for 30 minutes before giving up in finding an exact answer…

I have the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, V1.1… running the latest (June? version of OSMC on a 16gb micro sdcard).

I was interested in getting the remote control for it as mentioned here: https://osmc.tv/product/osmc-remote-control-for-raspberry-pi/ and i checked the specs/technical doc and such, but i cannot seem to see if it has a power on/off button? Would that be the home button? It doesn’t exactly say… Or will i need to get an actual power button for the unit if i want to leave it plugged in but in standby mode - like any other media box?

Thanks for your time!

You would have to purchase a 3rd party physical power button for this (at a cost of ~$15?). Otherwise, in order to restart the pi, you have to pull the plug and reconnect. But there is honestly no reason to turn it off at all. It was designed to be always on, and even then, it costs like $2/year to run it 24/7. It would take at least 7 years to recoup the cost of your button. Also, as a certified, full time, career firefighter, I’ve never seen/heard of one catching fire under normal use…

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223762&pid=1978507#pid1978507

This would cause no problems with corruption or anything like that? (i’m thinking you dont read from a usb drive and pull it out mid-read, or power down your pc mid-game). Keeping it on 24/7 is perfectly fine with me, i just thought that like smartphones and the likes, you want to reboot once a week or so, and with your computer a good shutdown once in awhile wont hurt anything…

I have a roommate that swears on saving $$ - to the point where lights and tv’s must be off if your not in the room, and driving further to save 2c on gas is a good thing (yes i have pointed out how stupid it is to spend $5 saving 10c on gas…)

but if your saying that its best to ignore it, then i shall do, i was just curious, but i do thank you in your response, and i will link my roommate the link you posted.

Thanks again!

The “standby” mode you mentioned in the OP does not exist with the pi. There are 3 states the pi can be in, running, system halted with power still connected, and unpowered. Pulling the plug after cleanly shutting down is the intended way.

Yes, I think we all know one of those guys. Tell him you’ll pay the extra $.20/mo on the power bill…

All 3 of my pi’s have essentially run 24/7 since the day I received them, even the first 256mb B model from 2012… As I said earlier, this is their intended function by design.

FYI,

The Pi may soon get a ‘virtual suspend’ feature. This would put the Pi in an extremely low power state (although it does consume very little power already), and we would make this available from the Power option in OSMC.

Cheers

Sam

There’s actually the reset pin holes, called “RUN”, right next to the 3.3v pin1 of the GPIO header. I soldered in my own 2-pin header, then used a 2-strand jumper, soldered to a little temporary on-off rocker switch. Temporary, meaning it releases as soon as you take your finger off, rather than staying on or off. A temporary push button would do the same. All parts for less than $5. Turn the pi off with the onscreen shutdown, then use the reset switch to jump start it back up again.

A call to RESET from the remote’s power button would be nice. :slight_smile:

When I see that my pi2’s cpu is running at 156 F, it might not be such a good idea running it 24/7 for too long. I’m already thinking of heatsinks, and housing it in something with a fan.

The problem with your suggestion is that when you “shut down” you are not turning off the power to the Pi. (This is not a PC that is able to turn it’s own power off)

The operating system has shut down and the CPU is idle, (in a halt state) but all the circuitry is still powered up. It will be using a little bit less power than if you had left it running but idle, but not by that much.

If you really want to turn it off to save power then you are much better off adding a power switch than a reset button… :wink:

Actually, if the monitor starts searching for either an analog or digital signal after power down from the onscreen menu, then yes, the circuitry is also turned off. It’s physically turned off, not just in an idle mode. Try ssh’ing into that pi when it’s “idle”. You can’t. Only a reset, or physically resetting the power plug will wake it up.

All microcontrollers have a reset… it’s not your enemy. The pi wouldn’t have the ports if it was a bad thing.

Furthermore… the power pins on a pc motherboard, only need a temporary short to power up as well. It’s not a sustained connection while the pc is powered up. It’s the same thing with the pi. And the red power light, is essentially the same as the power light on the mobo itself… a stanby led.

http://www.msldigital.com/collections/all-products

This is the most complete solution that I have found this far. But like DBMandrake wrote, it will take a while to get the money back… :smiley:

Unfortunately you are only showing a lack of knowledge and understanding of how the hardware and software works. Just because the HDMI signal output is turned off does NOT mean that the circuitry on the Pi’s board is powered down.

Don’t believe me ? Log into your Pi using SSH and run the following command:

tvservice -o

Is your monitor now searching for a signal ? Yes ? Are you still logged into the Pi with SSH, thus proving that the CPU and network are still up ? Yes ?

Now run the following commands:

tvservice -p
sudo systemctl restart mediacenter

You have a picture again ? Without pressing your cherished reset button ? :wink:

Sorry but you are absolutely wrong. You cannot SSH into the Pi when the operating system has shut down because the the network interface was taken down during the shutdown process and the CPU is in a HALT state. The CPU is still powered up and consuming power. The network controller whilst inactive is also still consuming power. Without a running operating system there is nothing to respond to a network request, obviously.

If pressing the reset button is enough to allow the system to boot again then the CPU was not powered down.

Wrong again. The power pins on a PC motherboard send a signal directly to the power supply telling it to power on - but even when powered off some of the low power outputs of the power supply are always on. (Otherwise how do you think wake on lan would work ?)

This is not the same thing at all. You are connecting the reset line of the CPU to ground, this is the same as pressing the reset button on a PC, not pressing the power button.

Please try to study the literature before making incorrect pronouncements - the Raspberry Pi does not have a software method of powering down, and this is widely documented. Shutting down the OS will only halt the CPU it does not power the board down.

The red power LED is a power LED, not a standby LED. (Actually in a B+ and Pi 2 the red LED can be controlled in software, so it can be turned off even when the system is up and running)

If you want true software initiated power down on a Raspberry Pi it requires the addition of extra, external circuitry.

If I can’t ssh into the pi, then I can’t execute a command… period. Entering “ssh osmc@xxx.xxx.x.x” then pressing enter, results in the terminal waiting for the pi to respond. It won’t.

As for the pc power pins… it’s a momentary short to the pins that starts it up. It’s how you bench test a motherboard… you short those 2 pins.

I know a lot more than you think.

My original response to you was because I thought you were worried about data corruption, or that it was bad for the pi. I was just trying to show that it wasn’t.

Have a good day.

edit:

from the ARM Information Center:

10.2.1. Run mode
Run mode is the normal mode of operation in which all of the functionality of the processor is available.

In other words, shorting those pins puts the chip in Run mode… ie: turned on.

I’m not the first to mention using these pins. A quick google pops up threads on Raspberry Pi.org, as well as a tutorial on Adafruit. If there was a problem… they wouldn’t post it.

btw… there is 1 other way to turn the pi back on after using kodi’s onscreen power down function… if you have an hdmi tv, with CEC capability, then just the act of turning on the tv will turn the pi back on. I don’t have that option… I’m using an lcd display, with an hdmi to dvi cable.

This is completely wrong and based on exactly zero fact. Kodi’s onscreen power down function signals a clean shutdown followed by system halt. After directing the pi to halt the system, ONLY shorting the P6 header or pulling and re-plugging the power will result in a system (re)boot.

CEC will NOT signal the pi to reboot the system from a halted state!

You’re right… I forgot what I was reading. The thread stated it turned the pi off using the CEC… not the onscreen option, and that he couldn’t get it to boot back up. My bad. Thanks for the info. :smile:

I found another thread showing how to add commands to the remote’s power button, so I’ve been playing with sudo reboot, but unlike when ssh’d where it actually reboots, it does a full shutdown, but doesn’t actually reboot. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m just playing with it for a proper reboot function from the remote, so I don’t have to be logged in via my linux box if/when it hangs and needs a reboot.

Googling, I came across a thread where someone uses a ir phototransistor connected to GPIO pins 5 and 6 (grnd), and it turns on with an ir remote. But I’m guessing that changing channels with the remote would constantly reboot the system.

from “How do I turn on my Raspberry Pi after shutdown?” - raspberrypi.stackexchange

"If you want to use a remote controller to turn on the RPi, I suggest the following setup:

Buy an IR photo-diode, or even better, an IR photo-transistor, and connect it to Pin 5 and GND. It acts like a push-button. When it receives IR beams from remote controller, it shorts, and hence connects Pin 5 to GND, hence the RPi turns on.

Fortunately, shorting the pin 5 to GND does not have any effect during the normal operation of RPi; however, when the RPi is shut down, you can use an IR remote controller to turn the RPi on.

This is the setup that I’m currently using on our companies devices :wink: "

edit:

Just thought of something… if you can disable that GPIO pin5 once the pi’s been booted, via a script or something, then that would disable the phototransitor while the pi is operational. Once the pi’s powered off though, the pin should come back to a normal state.

It’s worth testing.

Well… I’m happy to report… it works!!!

Added a 2nd TSOP38238, as I picked up 3 of them when I added the GPIO remote mod.

OUT to pin05/GPIO03 (SCL1)
GND to pin09/Ground
Vs to pin17/3.3v DC Power

It turns on by pushing any button on the remote, and just my luck… the pin seems to be disabled as soon as the pi boots anyways, so pressing the remote after the pi’s been booted, doesn’t have an effect. :smile:

Except for the power button… but that’s because I added a reboot command to it, that only seems to halt… not actually reboot… lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

$ sudo nano /etc/lirc/lircrc

then add:

begin
button = KEY_POWER
prog = irexec
config = sudo reboot
end

Then save. (Ctrl+X)

I guess sudo shutdown would be better now, seeing as the remote can boot it back up. :slight_smile:

Even better… using 1 ir receiver, with the OUT pin connected to 2 strands of a 4 strand jumper ribbon. Everything wired/connected as normal, with the extra jumper going to pin5. Neither are sending a signal, so they shouldn’t short each other out.

So far… it’s working like it should. No smoke. :stuck_out_tongue:

And… I changed my remote’s power down command:

begin
button = KEY_POWER
prog = irexec
config = sudo shutdown -h now
end

Hmm… it would seem that connecting 1 receiver to both those pins, causes the pi to reboot on it’s own 5 to 10 minutes after shutdown. I went back to 2 separate receivers. I’ll solder them to a piece of protoboard, connecting the Vs’s and the Grnd’s, leaving the OUT’s separate. Given it hasn’t turned itself back on by morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Raspberry Pi does not implement ACPI functionality.

Sam