OSMC Remote - Info and Menu buttons are non functional

I believe I have the first generation remote and I am setting it up to work with Kodi on PopOS!/Ubuntu. I have installed the custom .deb packages found at:
http://ftp.fau.de/osmc/osmc/apt/pool/main/a/amd* and for the most part the remote is working.

I have noticed the info and menu buttons do not function and would like to try and get them working but a recent post about the remotes specifically mentions these keys as troublesome:

I am wondering if it will be possible for me to make these keys do anything at all. I have a custom keymap.xml file that I am attempting to use to make them work. The examples I have found here: Volume on Up/Down buttons for OSMC remote control in KODI · GitHub work as I want them too, but I cannot get those two buttons to respond at all.

Any tips on what might be possible?

To get those two buttons working on that remote it has to either be setup through eventlircd or those two keys can be remapped at the OS level, The former is how it works in our current stable and previous builds of OSMC, and the latter is what we are moving to with our long-press update. I’m a nix noob but I think Ubuntu is using a different system to hard remap keys than Debian so I can’t give info for that. You would want to remap to “i” and “c” though… unless you use a non-english keyboard input in which case things get a lot more complicated.

He can use our hwdb files which is the new approach. This will work on his Ubuntu system.

Sam

Happy to test a new approach if that helps, I am not making much progress unfortunately.

Using irw I get key presses registered as KEY_KPRIGHTPAREN and KEY_KPLEFTPAREN for those two buttons, I can see them seen as the same thing in the Kodi log too. However the OSMC remote .evmap file in /etc/eventlircd.d does not contain any of those strings and lircd.conf doesn’t seem to match up either:

cat /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
# Please make this file available to others
# by sending it to <lirc@bartelmus.de>
#
# this config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.9.0-pre1(default) on Thu Jan  8 11:26:07 2015
#
# contributed by  Dilligaf
#
# brand:                     OSMC
# model no. of remote control:
# devices being controlled by this remote:
#

begin remote

name  OSMC
  bits            5
  flags RC5|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one           872   807
  zero          872   807
  plead         886
  pre_data_bits   8
  pre_data       0x84
  gap          107676
  toggle_bit_mask 0x800

begin codes
          KEY_HOME                 0x0F
          KEY_INFO                 0x10
          KEY_UP                   0x11
          KEY_DOWN                 0x13
          KEY_LEFT                 0x15
          KEY_RIGHT                0x12
          KEY_OK                   0x14
          KEY_BACK                 0x16
          KEY_TITLE                0x17
          KEY_PLAYPAUSE            0x18
          KEY_STOP                 0x19
          KEY_REWIND               0x1A
          KEY_FASTFORWARD          0x1B
      end codes

end remote

Using the advice here for capturing and handling those LIRC events https://kodi.wiki/view/LIRC doesn’t seem to be working in Kodi either.

I’ll see if we can work on an install script to automate this

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

You can either replace that osmcrf.hwdb file you copied and change it to

evdev:input:b0003v2252p1037*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7004a=esc
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c0060=i
 KEYBOARD_KEY_10084=c

which would let it work as a generic Kodi remote.

otherwise you would need to also grab out of the staging build you pulled that hwdb file from
/usr/share/kodi/system/peripherals.xml
/usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/osmc_classic.xml
/usr/share/kodi/system/keymaps/osmc/osmc_remote.xml

Which adds that remote to the peripherals system and allows the keymap in that osmc folder to load. The osmc_classic keymap just fixes the maps for my rekeying to the bracket keys (for language fixes). The mapping for that is in the osmc_remote file but I needed something to fallback to in case someone decided to turn off my custom keymap in the peripherals settings.

If you were looking at our current or former versions you would see the eventlircd setup. Your on staging where we already disabled that for these remotes.

I think for a generic install script we should just build a general HWDB that works with stock Kodi.

I posted a generic one above for the remote in question, which is the only one that has keys that can’t be fixed with just a keymap. If you want the next couple of remotes covered with a tweak to help out the French and Germans feel free to make an easy install to dump this to /etc/udev/hwdb.d/osmcrf.hwdb

evdev:input:b0003v2017p1689*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7002e=volumeup
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7002d=volumedown

evdev:input:b0003v2017p1688*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7004a=esc
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7002e=volumeup
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7002d=volumedown

evdev:input:b0003v2252p1037*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7004a=esc
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c0060=i
 KEYBOARD_KEY_10084=c

That’s what I think we should do.