OSMC Remote Kodi JSON Method

Hello,

First time here, and thanks for your work on OSMC.

Please I want to be able to control my TV using LIRC on OSMC. I have setup the remote, but I don’t want to be using irsend to send the command.

Please does anyone know of a Koid call method that allows for accessing stored remotes? So instead of using irsend, could use the koid api and use the right call method.

Also I want to be able to control different devices, using the remote. It seems I am limited to just selecting only 1 at a time. Is this the case please? And if it is possible to use more than one, can I be enlightened on how to do it?

Kind regards

Kodi doesn’t support IR blasting natively

Hello @sam_nazarko,

Thanks for the feedback. So there is no way, one can use the Kodi api for IR :pensive:, that’s so sad.

Anyways will have to figure another way out, and thanks again.

Regards

Are you saying that when an IR signal is received, you’d like to do something in Kodi?
This is possible – and the standard way of achieving this is to develop a keymap.

Hello @sam_nazarko,

Oh no I am not talking about the ability to control Kodi with IR, which I know is possible. I just wanted to one of Kodi’s JSON-RPC APIs to send an IR signal, so I could control my TV using it.

Since you said it wasn’t possible, I am presently looking at putting together some standalone python script running in a venv that will allow me to receive messages over MQTT, and the received message used by my script to control Lirc. This then controls my TV.

Thinking abt it, if I understood Kodi addons api, maybe this will be a nice addon to develop. So once installed on Kodi, it could then expose the IR signals over the Kodi JSON-RPC API, using the plugin :thinking:.

Now something I need to think thru. So you think it will be possible? So I don’t waste my time :wink:.

Kind regards.

Does your TV not support CEC? Depending on what you are trying to do you may be able to achieve it with CEC.

Hello @bmillham,

My TV does, but it’s actually a problem since I got other things connected to it. Also I want to be able to use the same Kodi instance as some form of IR blaster for other IR devices.

This will help reduced the number of devices I have, and ultimately reduced power. For example I have Kodi always on, have another ESP device, for controlling IR devices. Yes power minimal, but I just think it’s so unnecessary to have it, and makes my system clustered. So started thinking of how I can combine multiple services in a single Pi box.

I came across something like this https://www.matthuisman.nz/2018/10/gpio-monitor-kodi-add-on.html?m=1. It’s similar to what I want, but for IR. I could even use this, to control the power to my AV devices, as no matter what, I got Kodi always on, as I use it for other things like scanning Bluetooth presence system, and calculating where users are in the house using RSSI.

So once I can also cramp into it my IR blaster, that to me is a big step forward.

Hope this makes sense?

Sounds like an ambitious project!

If I understand correctly what you are doing, most of it would be done outside of Kodi control, so you would just ‘talk’ to the IR blaster directly from scripts.

Well possible out of Kodi’s control yes, but I want the IR to be within its control and why I was thinking of utilising an addon.

The Bluetooth scanning is just done using a standalone bash script on the same pi, so out of Kodi’s control. But I wanted the IR to be within its control, for as much as I can still run another standalone python script for Lirc, I really don’t want to if it’s possible via an addon.

Kind regards

You could possibly do something like:

Have a service that talks to the blaster. That service would only talk to the blaster and listen for commands (maybe with a JSON type interface).

Then your BT script would send a message to the blaster service.

If the Kodi addon that you linked does what you want, you could modify it to send a message to the blaster service instead of what it’s currently doing. I don’t know if a Kodi addon can watch for IR input, so this is just a thought. Maybe it will give you some ideas to help.

Many thanks @bmillham,

Will look into it and get back if any further issues.

Kind regards