Osmc touch screen problem

I come up to this thread because of the same problem with a USB Multitouchscreen.
It works with Ubuntu, Windows IOT 10 (Raspberry), Ubuntu Mate (Raspberry), Raspbian Jessie, BUT not with OSMC??

Is there really no solution, and why does it have to do with x11?

And BTW: My Touchscreen is a USB HID Touchscreen… so really strange that it does not work with OSMC?

If your Touchscreen is USB HID than it might work without X11. So question is does it need a driver? Is mouse active in Kodi?

what do you mean with “mouse active”? If I touch I see the mouse symbol (arrow) on the top left of the screen…

On the other systems I didn’t need to install driver or something else to make it work, so Touchscreen is Plug&Play…

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Input

Not really. A device is plug and play when there’s already a driver installed in the system to make it work, sometimes it’s a standalone driver and sometimes it is bundled in a desktop environment like X11.

Touchscreens work on common Linux distros because X11 or some other desktop environment is already installed, OSMC doesn’t use one and that’s probably why the touchscreen doesn’t work. But if a standalone driver is available for your touchscreen you can use that instead.

unfortunately I cannot find help how to implement the standalone? standard USB HID Touchscreen driver? which one x11 use? where can I find it? how to install? Can I do it without knowhow about recompile kernel and such complicated things?

But another question: Why some USB touchscreens works and some does not work on Kodi?

(BTW: mouse, touchscreen is enabled)

You should be seeking support from the touchscreen provider/manufacturer.

do you mean that seriously?? It’s a standard USB HID touchscreen, so supplier (Dell) will anyway not investigate any time to support such special needs… It works on all platform except Kodi.

Do you seriously think we know these answers? We don’t even know what screen it is!

1 Like

Dell P2314T, on the homepage I found only windows driver.
Anyway, In case I will find a driver, how can I implement a driver on Kodi as easiest possible?

Please note: With Raspbian Jessie + Kodi the issue is the same, mouse cursor on top left.
It would be really really appreciate if somebody could help me or give an advise?

If Dell only provides a windows driver, that is not much we can do.

If you manage to find one, copy it in /lib/firmware and reboot, then attach the touchscreen and test it.

the touch work properly with raspbian jessie, so where can I found that USB driver?

I am little bit surprised that copy driver to /lib/firmware and reboot will solve the problem? Is that really the only two steps to do to implement a driver?

As you have been told, that driver depends on X11. OSMC does not include X11. You need a different driver.

touch is also working with ubuntu 17.04, but I think ubuntu 17.04 is not using X11…
so why does it not work with kodi? Can I maybe use driver from ubuntu? or what kind of driver does kodi really need? And why the mouse is showing if touch? Is that really a driver issue?

Ubuntu IS using a window manager. And I’m fairly sure that it is X11 as I didn’t think they did the switch to Wayland. Even if they did, there is will a window manager running that the driver depends on.

phuu :frowning: , which system are like kodi but maybe more famous? I suppose Dell don’t know what Kodi is… which OS are similar to Kodi?

OR which famous system does also not use a windows manager?

Kodi is not the OS distro. Kodi is the software packaged with OSMC.

You could install Debian as a server (without a window manager) as OSMC is based on Debian. That would be a good place to start. If you find that it works you can start searching for the driver there.

ok. but how test without window, desktop? I can for example try Raspian Jessie Lite … but which command should I use to test if there is something recorded from touch?

BTW: with “sudo sh ts_calib.sh” - I can calibrate the Touchscreen without problem…

EDIT: As ts_calib.sh is recording my touch, there must be a touchscreen driver on OSMC which works with my Touch??? But why it not works on the OSMC GUI?? hmmm

We use GLES for GUI, not X11.
That’s why it doesn’t work. Pi touch screen works with this as it uses dispmanx.

ok. but if I start on OSMC (per SSH) the command “sudo sh ts_calib.sh” I can see the touch is working. So why the GLES GUI is not able to take the touch-data? I think there is already a driver on OSMC (debian) which see my touch - but the GLES GUI cannot read the touch-data correctly? So is that really a driver Issue? Or does the GLES GUI not understand the receiving touch data from driver?

Look at the script then and see what it’s doing. Run dmesg and see what’s happening.