OSMC Update Error

I just tried updating OSMC and at the end I got a message saying:

Error Installing: qemu-user-static
Please report this on the OSMC forum.

So this is me reporting it.

It seems like the update didn’t fail completely because, after I hit ok on the message above, it started rebuilding menus etc. The “Update Available” notification is still showing in the bottom left corner of the screen but it has been there for a while and I just kept forgetting to run the updates so maybe there are more updates that need to be applied or maybe the update did fail and that’s why it’s still showing “Update Available”.

Edit: it’s been saying “Building Menu Please wait” for over 30mins now!

What should I do?

Can you access the device via SSH?

Details regarding how to access the command line interface can be found here on our Wiki: Accessing the command line - General - OSMC

yes. I can. I’m logged in now. BTW the “Building Menu Please wait” message is still showing on my tv! So something definitely went wrong. :slight_smile:

Try
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

If it fails upload logs with grab-logs -A and share the URL. Also maybe copy/paste the error from the console.

doing it now. I’ll be back in 10mins and I’ll let you know what happened. cheers

Edit: strike that last. It’s done. No apparent errors.

Should I restart osmc now or just kodi to get off the Building Menu screen?

Suggest a full restart. Anyway maybe do a grab-logs -A now to have a status quo.

Thanks for that. It’s booted back up now and is showing more updates. I’ll try manually installing those now and see if it goes a little better.

Edit: scratch that… I used the “Scan for updates” option, and it told me there weren’t any and then the “Updates available” message went away.

Ok let us know any problems. Also just for info the original error package qemu-user-static is not related to OSMC/Kodi and might have caused a dependency issue.

I think it’s a dependency for sickchill because I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it in the output for sickchill updates. In fact, the reason I was trying to install the osmc updates today is that this morning I suddenly started getting a connection refused message when trying to access sickchill’s web interface. I had that same issue a few months ago and I seem to have problems everytime I try to update sickchill. So maybe there are clashing dependencies or something… but I don’t live and breathe this stuff so it’s hard for me to get my head around… especially when I just want to sit and watch tv. :slight_smile: