OSMC update to Buster

This isn’t something that we can support, but you can try it.
If any thing breaks we unfortunately won’t be able to advise until we move over to Buster.

Thanks. I’ll image the SD card so I can revert back and give it a go.

I’m in the same boat of running my Vero4k for OSMC, KODI and Domoticz which now requires Buster due to the requirement to run libc6 version 2.28 which is not readily available for stretch.

so when will OSMC be officially based on buster?

and

The version of Debian we are currently running is still supported so there is no immediate need to move. We will be moving over at some point but there is other important work ongoing first like moving the Vero 4K and 4K + to a newer kernel and getting Raspberry Pi 4 support sorted.

1 Like

Apologies for the slow response here.
Two days ago I finally got round to trying this out. I’ve changed stretch to buster in all the lines of /etc/apt/sources.list except for the osmc line.

So far, two days in and OSMC appears to be working fine, as do my other things like Domoticz. In OSMC, I’ve tried Live TV, via MythTV plugin and Videos streamed from my NAS.

Limited testing so far but it would appear that OSMC can run on Debian Buster for my usage at least.

We will start the migration to Buster next week.

2 Likes

is there any ETA for Buster?

Not long now - the repo is already built so it can be used already in theory

1 Like

So, ran into the same issue and screwed with pinning…

Mediacenter was complaining about some missing mysql libraries, sorted out now. But now when I want to start it I’m getting this issue.

ago 11 01:17:13 osmc mediacenter[1096]: ERROR in Mali driver:
ago 11 01:17:13 osmc mediacenter[1096]: * Device driver API mismatch
ago 11 01:17:13 osmc mediacenter[1096]: * Device driver API version: 800
ago 11 01:17:13 osmc mediacenter[1096]: * User space API version: 900
ago 11 01:17:13 osmc mediacenter[1096]: ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

Any hints besides restoring?

Hi,

Although you didn’t mention what device you updated from, I’ll take an educated guess and assume it’s a 4K/4K+

There is a userland change needed for 4K/4K+ updates to work well (we keep needing to switch between 3.14/4.9 compatibility).

I will push that update within the next 48 hours and will let you know when this is done. You’ll need to update via the command line, but I assume you have some experience with that as you must have edited the sources.list and retrieved the log in a headless manner.

We haven’t announced any Buster testing yet for a reason.

Cheers

Sam