OSMC updates explained

You will be made quite aware.

That is all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you’re using a shared MySQL install you should probably set automatic updates to “Display icon on home screen only” in Update Settings.

That way you will be alerted to the fact that there are updates but it won’t download or install them. You can then check the blog to see what the updates include.

BTW we have also added functionality in the OSMC updater to check the major version number of Kodi - if an update would result in Kodi being upgraded from one major version to another, 14.x to 15.0 for example you will be specifically warned of this before installing updates and given the chance to abort installing them.

Since only major version changes affect MySQL database compatibility this allows you to receive minor version updates but be warned of major version updates.

Hi Sam,
Sorry to ask a very newbie question, but how do I find that log? I cannot see how I get to anything outside of OSMC.

Nic

@nickc there is a pinned post at the top of the Help and Support subforum and also an instructional in our wiki.

Continuing the discussion from OSMC updates explained:

Thank you DBMandrake, I have that setting already. But hope that helps someone else. The workaround from ActionA will do for now. I suppose in a working scenario is if my main Pi running OSMC is in another room I have to then go to another room to check the blog etc etc etc to see what I am upgrading to. Or get out my phone/tablet and do an internet OSMC thread check to see what is being offered. No great shakes. Loving OSMC :smile:

I’m fairly certain that when we push the update, an explicit notification will be presented and user interaction will be required, regardless of your update settings. For updates that include Kodi version upgrades that is…

Amazing idea, I can’t wait to see it implemented :smile:

the info about update sent to e-mail will be great :smile:

I think via e-mail is a great idea.

Have the July updates been released yet. I know the updates are on a monthly basis now. I went to MY OSMC and did a manual update check. The bottom left corner still shows OSMC June 1015 2015.06.01. Maybe the updates are at the end of the month?

No

Sam

Will it include KODI 15.x or are you waiting for 15.1?
Haven’t run any new build yet btw, but I read that popcornmix had a fix in the latest firmware in one of the beta builds for HDMI sound issues :relaxed:

Sam

Sweet, thnx in advance!
14.2 is already running like a dream for ages, just jumped from beta3 to final in a matter of minutes work :+1:

@sam_nazarko may be a personalizable way to notify like an event to trigger our own script ?

Use dpkg trigger

Sam

Was talking about that : Run script after update? :smile:

Thanks

So I have OSMC beta running for a while on a Raspberry Pi2. It is awesome. I have tons of add-ons and themes installed on top of it. How would I safely update OSMC and Kodi to the latest versions without any issues or installing all the add-ons and third party stuffs again?

Would running these 2 commands will do?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Please let me know. Thanks

That should work