Osmc upgrade - jan

once i disable hw acceleration i might have other problems with other files later on, right?

thats the only one.

Just disable it for this file then re-enable it.

as the device is far away from me… and controlled with users with zero skills to go to settings etc… i am not able to do that… thats why i was wondering if thats a bug or can be fixed somehow else.

You could do as I keep suggesting and try re-muxing the file. Or just get a properly encoded version of it.

And it’s not that difficult to go into settings and change the options, so I’m not sure about your ‘zero skills’ comment.

@bmillham well that device is mine, but other one owns father with almost 0 skills to do this settings…

Is it possible somehow easily remux it? i downloaded mkvtoolnix but there are so many options etc :frowning: thanks

He can’t simply scroll through the menu and change an option? It’s not that different from scrolling and playing a movie!

Just remux it as an mkv. Don’t change any of the video or audio options. That will put it in a new container and not actually change the video quality. I have no way to know if it will actually fix the problem with that file. (as the file is VBR and VBR and hardware decoders don’t normally get along).

Hey, in my household, I have a wife and kids also using OSMC. And believe me, asking the wife to go into the settings to change something would accomplish nothing but an argument and then a long discussion about why I’m always messing with things and making it hard for her to watch TV… So, I can totally see where the original poster is coming from.

If this is a common problem (something which frequently needs to be tweaked from video to video) then maybe adding it to the on-screen pop-up menu as something which can be changed on-the-fly (much like things like aspect ratio and audio track can be changed) would be a useful thing to do. (disclaimer: I actually use a different skin which I maintain a fork for… so my opinions may be suspect…).

As someone with a fancy programmable remote, I know it’s also possible to set up a remote button to run some arbitrary kodi command to do something like turn it on and off. https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap. Having a remote with a lot more buttons on it than the one that comes with the Vero is useful in that regard.

Skin.ToggleSetting(videoplayer.useamcodec) I think would be the command in this case (see guisettings.xml under userdata (or userdata/profiles for a complete list of what is in use. There are also the numerous settings for using HW for various resolutions, (videoplayer.useamcodech264 etc) but I’m not clear which of those are actually applicable to the vero and osmc or what half (most?) of them do.

I’m also wondering if something could be configured in advancedsettings.xml to change the behavior based on either file type (avi) or resolution, or some such. (seem to recall there was a whole bunch of stuff you could override in there, but have not messed with it much for a few kodi versions)

This is not a common problem. The OP has a poorly encoded video and the easy fix is to simply turn off hardware decoding to watch the one file.

Understood – but by the poster’s admission, he has one single affected file.

It is not a common problem in any way. The file is clearly damaged and we will not be the only hardware decoder to choke on playback.

We have suggested a workaround for this single file; as well as a potential fix to repair the file so that it can be played back correctly.

If you believe this is not correct and have files yourself that are affected then do let us know and I will be happy to look in to this further

Cheers

Sam

This is a horrible argument. If my wife called with a issue and walking her through the menus to a simple settings toggle resulted in an argument and some dreaded discussion, I would seriously consider re-evaluating the state of my relationship… I would be embarrassed to no end if my friends and family knew such a trivial hiccup with a simple solution could cause such emotional responses between my wife and I.

2 Likes

Chaps – we offer technical support, not relationship advice…

We of course, have experience in neither.

5 Likes

Hey, I was only suggesting to the original poster how he could solve the problem by tweaking the UI or remote config.

Again, understood. If he’s only got one affected file, it may be an undertaking to make these changes.

I am glad to hear that you don’t have affected files.

Sam

What? Come on …

Step 1:

Step 2:

Give it a try, I’m sure you can handle this complexity.

2 Likes