OSMC Vero V Review

I received my order of 3 Vero Vs yesterday. Overall ship time from the UK to the US was 5 days.

I swapped out one of my Vero 4k+ units with a new Vero V to do some initial performance testing. The upgrade process was very simple and took less than 20 minutes. The process I used was:

• Make a current Vero 4k+ backup
  • Connect and power on the Vero V
  • Do a basic configuration
  • Restore the Vero 4K+ backup

I run my Vero Vs with Mezzmo and the Mezzmo Kodi addon with a Kodi database of around 21K video items. The nice thing about this setup for doing performance measurements is that it provides a lot of statistics and history.

I did some initial tests to gauge performance:

13 secs - Vero 4K+ Sync 400 items to Kodi
10 secs - Vero V Sync 400 items to Kodi
21 secs - Raspberry Pi 4 Sync 400 items to Kodi

2.1 secs - Vero 4K+ Kodi time to display 300 items
1.2 secs - Vero V Kodi time to display 300 items
1.7 secs - Raspberry Pi 4 Kodi time to display 300 items

These are just some quick and basic tests. An interesting test will be a full sync time with Mezzmo for all 21K items. That puts stress on the network connection, the eMMC storage and processor. I’ll let this run today and the Mezzmo to Kodi full video sync will happen automatically tomorrow morning.

I’ve performed some initial playback tests for 1080P and 4K high bandwidth (~90mbps) HEVC videos and so far everything has been very smooth, including downscaling the 4K videos to 1080P for the display I was using…