OSMC Vero V Review

Thx, sorry I’ll go to read

Long term we have some plans to allow Android (APK) applications to run. I wanted to try this earlier but the Vero 4K / 4K + didn’t have enough grunt to provide a smooth experience.

Another challenge is facilitating the switch between Kodi and the Android apps in a way that is smooth and not cumbersome.

3 Likes

Actually, I just like the fact that the Vero is a Kodi-player and only that. If I want streaming I use the Apple TV. For me, and I guess many others, spending time and introducing unnecessary code and bugs is NOT what I want on the Vero.

1 Like

Don’t worry – we won’t deviate from that and will focus on what we are good at.

1 Like

Vero4k(+) can act as a moonlight client, with some tinkering. When I get enough time I will see if i can get it to run on the VeroV aswell.

Why didn’t you also point out that the ethernet port is only 1Gbps instead of multigig?

This has been already discussed around post No.50…

I think he was making a joke. :joy:

I was.
If 802.11ac is not future proof for a media player than neither is 1Gbps.

1 Like

I’m very excited about the USB 3 since I keep all my files on external HDDs attached directly to the Vero.
Now when I make my rips and transfer them over they will write to the HDDs much faster!

I wasn’t surprised about the lack of DoVi support for the V.
I have an OLED that supports DoVi and I have compared DoVi and HDR10 and the potential for DoVi to be way better than HDR10 is definitely there but it really depends on the content and how it was mastered.
A lot of DoVi and Atmos content is a joke.
I have a 7.1.4 setup and a lot of these movies with Atmos tracks barely utilize it.
When the content properly uses DoVi and/or Atmos, it can be pretty impressive.
Having an open player is more important to me than the difference between HDR10 and DoVi given how lazy these content providers are about actually utilizing the potential these standards provide.

I was really hoping for folder/ISO support with full BD menus, but that’s really just a software/Java thing from how I understand it, so there’s still hope.

I’ll definitely be picking up a V.

@sam_nazarko I live in the USA. When I bought my Vero 4K I just purchased it through the OSMC store, but I don’t remember what tax/vat or anything else may have added to the cost back then. Would it make more sense to purchase from PiShop.us once they get them? Are profits better for you guys if I purchase directly? Are warranties the same no matter where I make the purchase?

I should not comment on this so obvious troll remark, but I will. This is MY thoughts and what I have gathered during a few years, NOT official OSMC:

The idea of Vero-series, is to make hardware optimized for OSMC. OSMC has a long term commitment to the hardware, regarding support and a goal to make a reliable device that will stand the test of time. With that i mean it will not be “seriously outdated” during the next 5 year support cycle. Now what is seriously outdated, examples: kernel support being removed or manufacturer stop making new boards etc etc. I think I made the scale obvious.

You can make a device that have fifth teen 2.5gb Ethernetport’s, three diffrent HDMI ports, built in 801.11ax or even a pre-standard Wifi7 support. It’s all possible, but would that benefit the average user of OSMC? Would it impact the manufacturing price, would it impact support burden?

What i see as future proof, is to do the best to keep above the “needed specs”, while keeping down the price. In order to get full speed AX the sbc has to be changed, according to @sam_nazarko, which would mean more cost, for a feature I don’t deem needed inside “support window”.

As I said, this is my view, but I do see it as rather logical to try to “KISS”.

1 Like

Same thought. I also think that “future-proofing” only goes so far - if I can assure that I have a competitive device for the coming 5-7 years I’m fine.

4k streaming needs around 15-25Mbps IIRC. 802.11ac can deliver in the smallest ideal setting up to 54 Mbps, which realistically is around 25-30 Mbps, assuming 2.4GHz only - that triples in most routers if you’re using 5Ghz if your devices use dualband antennas. So that’s already enough to stream 4K reliably over WiFi, if you’re not placing the Vero somewhere in the basement. And the ethernet connection has five times the capacity of a 4K stream. Of course, if you’re streaming a 4k UHD Bluray rip with a size of 50GB and assuming that movie takes around 2h, you’re still looking at around 55-60 MBbps, that will be too much for the 2.4GHz net, but the 5GHz net could theoretically handle that, assuming the hardware can keep up decoding etc., briefly ignoring that you’re locking up the whole network at home with that if not all your devices are Wifi6-capable which is hardly the case (you will most likely have a laptop or a printer that is not yet state of the art…). So assuming you need your 2.4GHz net for legacy devices such as printers, older laptops, whatever and can’t work with dualband (or triband, it’s 2023 already…) then even in that case your 5GHz ac network is capable of that throughput if you tell everyone else to stop using their devices. The 1Gbit ethernet is more than capable to handle that throughput. So you CAN stream that.

And in case that you have more media files which are significantly larger than 50GB (or, to quantify, regularly break the 25GB/h rate), you can still hook up a multi-TB drive directly via USB3, store those files there and have that as an additional source seamlessly in your media library.

So yes, by all means, the Vero V is quite future-proof. It’s supposed to be a media streamer, not a fileserver. I doubt that the average consument (which in the case of the Vero is already in the enthusiast class…) will bring the networking hardware to its limit on the regular in the next 10 years. Sure, we might converge to 16K UUHD streaming - then again, if that means that you’re touching 80GB/h (so 150-200GB per movie), then I agree that is the limit of the device. Which I don’t see happening in the next half decade to be fair. I’d also ask myself whether the chip would be capable of decoding this either way or if you wouldn’t need some beefy x86 media PC with some actual dedicated GPUs in your livingroom then…

TL;DR: It’s absolutely futureproof enough.

1 Like

I received my order of 3 Vero Vs yesterday. Overall ship time from the UK to the US was 5 days.

I swapped out one of my Vero 4k+ units with a new Vero V to do some initial performance testing. The upgrade process was very simple and took less than 20 minutes. The process I used was:

• Make a current Vero 4k+ backup
  • Connect and power on the Vero V
  • Do a basic configuration
  • Restore the Vero 4K+ backup

I run my Vero Vs with Mezzmo and the Mezzmo Kodi addon with a Kodi database of around 21K video items. The nice thing about this setup for doing performance measurements is that it provides a lot of statistics and history.

I did some initial tests to gauge performance:

13 secs - Vero 4K+ Sync 400 items to Kodi
10 secs - Vero V Sync 400 items to Kodi
21 secs - Raspberry Pi 4 Sync 400 items to Kodi

2.1 secs - Vero 4K+ Kodi time to display 300 items
1.2 secs - Vero V Kodi time to display 300 items
1.7 secs - Raspberry Pi 4 Kodi time to display 300 items

These are just some quick and basic tests. An interesting test will be a full sync time with Mezzmo for all 21K items. That puts stress on the network connection, the eMMC storage and processor. I’ll let this run today and the Mezzmo to Kodi full video sync will happen automatically tomorrow morning.

I’ve performed some initial playback tests for 1080P and 4K high bandwidth (~90mbps) HEVC videos and so far everything has been very smooth, including downscaling the 4K videos to 1080P for the display I was using…

How did you order, It is not released yet as far as I know?

I got in on the early order / existing customer program.

I was hoping to get contacted for an early order as an existing customer of both Vero 4k and 4k+…unfortunately my inbox is still empty…

Hmm, so am I I have 4 Vero’s but i have not heard anything.

This is primarily why we haven’t launched yet. Because there will be a big wait and disappointment when someone gets theirs before someone else’s.

We should do a soft launch later today via the website, but it will be a limited number of units until we can get on top of demand.

I’m not sending out any Newsletter until we are ready to meet the expected demand.

Shouldn’t be affected by taxes from UK to USA. Nothing has changed there in that regard.

Pi Shop will likely get stock week after next, but we should make ordering available on our website this evening.

Noted but I assumed that existing customers could have been entitled to a sort of small discount from the street price…at least this happened when I got the message for the early order of the Vero 4k+ in 2018.
Does it mean that only a limited number of existing customers got a discount or this did not happen at all and they instead got the device in advance at full price?