OSMC Vero V Review

Good to know that there is a semi-legit reason for the feet not being symmetrical.
“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature”
I wonder why more electronics manufacturers don’t follow the nonsymmetrical foot design.
:wink:

Right? I was playfully poking fun, but some people really ran with it. As you say, Who the heck cares about where the screws are on the underside?! :joy::joy:

If Sam decides to make a premium model in an all aluminum enclosure with UV meters and an analog volume dial I’ll make sure to mention that the vibration isolating spikes should be symmetrical to at least a couple thousandths.

4 Likes

That would be perfect!

“There’s a lot more coming to OSMC”… Tell us!

1 Like

That quote probably sold me on a Vero V, just so you know. =)

3 Likes

Quick question: can I use the powersupply and plug of the Vero 4K+ to power the Vero V? In my situation it takes half a day to disassemble the TV cabinet and get to the power outlets…

Yes.

2 Likes

I have finally been in the position to order the new Vero V. I only ordered it in the early hours of this morning so I’m not expecting it to be in my lap tomorrow, but I’m just wondering how long delivery normally takes?

I’m very much looking forward to using it after having first installed Raspbmc way back when.

Dispatch is about a day after payment has been received.

Sam

1 Like

Verified this, and you’re (unfortunately) right :(.

I received mine Wednesday and could instantly tell a notable increase in speed from the 4K+ to the V. Namely in refreshing the library and also playing high bitrate content

2 Likes

I have the Vero V now in action for a few weeks. What I have noticed is that the device runs quite hot with some add-ons - I’m not sure if that is due to the add-on or to the device itself. For me the Add-on in question was the “TVNow” Add-on (see here: https://github.com/mobsean/repo/tree/fix.plugin.video.rtlnow.auth.url/plugin.video.rtlnow, v2.1.0).

I had at least one occurence in which the Vero went completely black and restarted (at that point the device temperature was above 80°C), it proceeded to run when I cooled it with an ice pack wrapped in a towel. I also noticed yesterday evening that the colors were scrambled and all blues became greens. Restarting the device resolved this for now. I’m otherwise very happy with the device.

Have there been any such reports so far? I didn’t have problems with that add-on when I still had the Vero4.

We haven’t had such reports so far - and 80C is well within operating temperature limits.

If it continues to occur I’d suggest a new forum post. Make sure you are using the peripherals supplied in box (ie PSU) as Vero V uses more power than its predecessor.

Temperature at mine 86°C with no issues, works fine ! What do you mean ist the max operation temperature limit : 100°C ?

We will not even start throttling the CPU at this temperature. But that’s a bit on the warm side. I assume this is not after idling operation…

If the device reaches a critical temperature, it will shut down and it will refuse to boot until it has cooled sufficiently. I don’t anticipate such a scenario however.

Sam

Could somebody with a Vero V play some music with Shadertoy ‘Sound sinus wave’ as visualization?

It becomes for me very blocky and slow at the end of the song, really weird.
It even persists into the next song, never seen this on the Vero 4K.

I can confirm that mine shows the same behavior.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Blu Ray menus

Unfortunately, this (3D MVC playback still impacted by macroblocking issues for certain titles) makes the upgrade from 4k+ to V completely unattractive for me.