OSMC Vero V Review

Docker containers would be my main reason, kind of forcing the progression.

They can run on OSMC currently (I got it working recently without issue), it just takes a couple more steps.

Might need some guidance on that once i have one to play with again :pray:

how’s it with chapter skipping as my 4k tends to freeze on that?

Superb, and much, much faster. I’m wired, bear in mind. You’re only going to be as fast as you can buffer data (if over wireless).

Hi - just to clarify, if I do a backup from MyOSMC in my 4k+, this can be used as a restore into V, & will contain all the settings, folder definitions, & db entries, so no need to set up from scratch?

If so, sounds great!

Yes, everything that the backup in My OSMC can backup (ie all of Kodi’s userdata plus system mounts) from an up to date Vero 4K+ can be restored to a Vero V. Numerous people on the OSMC team did exactly this and I don’t remember any of them reporting any issues with doing so.

2 Likes

Thnx for the review.
Does it support Dolby Vision?
And what does it do that the 4k+ can’t?

Because my Vero 4k+ can do anything I want, except for the Dolby Vision part.

I feel like we need some kind of automated response any time the words “Dolby Vision” appear in a post.

No, it will not support Dolby Vision. If you do a forum search you’ll find a slew of threads on the reasons why.

8 Likes

For the most part It does the same things the previous model does but faster. There is some improvements in the video quality, USB 3, faster eMMC, etc. but given that the previous model did a really good job of playing almost anything it is more evolution than revolution. Think of it as buying a new PC. It will do pretty much all the same things as your old one but faster.

Yes – however, you may need to manually enable AV-1 decoding under Settings → Playback.

Cheers

Sam

1 Like

Just as a datapoint, I did not need to enable it. It was already enabled after restoring from my two 4K+. It’s worth checking, though!

1 Like

Yep, I’ve defaulted it to on for V when an old backup is restored, but wasn’t confident that the setting was working as expected yet. Thanks for confirming.

1 Like

Good question.

We spent five years developing Vero V (with initial development beginning in August 2018). The idea was to release in 2020 that would last for the next decade. COVID-19 happened, then we had chip shortages. This pushed us back a bit. But we didn’t sit around and improved things further.

The Vero V is future proofed in a number of ways:

• Faster CPU and GPU – we keep OSMC as minimal as possible, but as capabilities evolve, hardware is taxed more.
  • 4GB RAM (we don’t even hit 1GB during playback of most content); but we provide an expansive operating system for a reason, and know users will install other services.
  • For reasons above, we’ve added USB3 connectivity so those that use TVHeadend, host a drive connected to their device can get the best speeds
  • AV-1 is the next generation video codec and it’s already being used for YouTube. We’ve had some reports of users having issues playing content from YouTube because it’s AV-1, so we’ve made sure to include support for this video codec.
  • Support for the latest graphics accel (GLES3; Vulkan).
  • Widevine L1/HDCP2.2 keys also included

There’s a lot more, and I’ll outline it in the official blog post on release.

What I expect will happen is that Vero 4K / 4K + will end up in the bedroom, and Vero V will end up in the main lounge :slight_smile:

Next week, we will be packaging up retail units every day in anticipation. Our website needs a bit of work to get it in to shape to handle the launch and I’m also scared of the initial rush.

Sam

7 Likes

See Dolby Vision - #19 by sam_nazarko.

We have a proper approach to this.

1 Like

Looks great Sam. Media room budget is a bit limited at the moment, but I’ll definitely be picking one of these up sooner than later as the 4K is back to being my primary player again.

1 Like

Great thanks!

Thanks for the review!

Can anybody tell - will there be distributors in EU to purchase from?

https://www.welectron.com/

Sounds great. Will this extra power run the interface at 4k?