OSMC Vero V Review

That’s not directly related to the power but more to the rendering engine of Kodi. So still doesn’t make sense to run GUI in 4k

We will have EU distributors but they won’t get stock until a fair while later.

We mainly use OSMC to watch back UK Freeview DVB recordings. Can we expect any changes or improvements to deinterlacing 1080 H.264 TV broadcasts on the new Vero?

Happy to do some last minute testing @sam_nazarko :wink:

Regarding the initial rush, I think I read somewhere you might be doing a loyalty discount? I have 3 V4k devices at the moment. I defo might be interested in an upgrade, but I’m not in a huge rush.

If you’re planning on any kind of loyalty discount, you could consider doing so with a voucher, to be redeemed in…? 6-12 months maybe. This might take a lot of current customers like me out of the release rush and let more first time users get their devices.

If I remembered wrong then disregard obviously :slight_smile:

1 Like

We will have a good introductory price. I’m hoping we can hold that price throughout, but obviously purchasing early will be the best way to get a good price :slight_smile:

We will prioritise existing customers first.

Sam

6 Likes

are you asking the same to other company’s? ‘‘i have a samsung fridge and a diswasher. i want a loyalty discount for my new samsung microwave.’’

come on boys, this isn’t how it works.

4 Likes

Dear Sam,
do you know whether there could be any issues shipping directly to Azerbaijan?
Thanks

Would it still be possible to order from the UK as a EU customer? My vero 4 died a while back, I am in dire need of a replacement and eagerly await your release :relieved:

if not, how much later would that be for the EU release then?

Yes - we will still ship worldwide.

4 Likes

thats defn not future proof’d!!! thats outdated.

I’ve explained the choice above. I can comfortably get 700-800Mbps to a Virgin Media SuperHub which is a bog standard UK router.

That’s more than enough for 4K video over WiFi where commercial Blu-ray bitrate is max 120Mbps.

That’s 80% of the gigabit speed that you can get over the wire. Can you explain a use case where you would need a higher speed?

You could of course attach a WiFi6 adapter if you need higher speeds.

you said future proof’d, the future is AX not N. so while N might be enough, it is NOT future Proof’d. thats all i was saying!

As Sam stated, you can always add a WiFi adapter if you need. For those serious about high bitrate, wired is the way to go anyway. Even on my own Wi-Fi 6E network, throughput from my 6E devices is not 100% consistent, and media demands consistency (in my humble opinion). I suspect omitting 6/6E also keeps costs down, and the Vero V is great value at the price point it will launch at (also, in my humble opinion).

Essentially, I don’t see how not including 6/6E is related to future proofing.

1 Like

so lets buy a brand new device that is future Proof’d and then add a external WiFi adapter to make up for the fact that the wifi included is not current

Glad to see a new version is about to be shipped.

As far as I’m able to understand Dolby Visión won’t be “enabled” in the display. If a profile 8.1 source is used, the HDR10 layer will be used, if profile 5, an on-the-fly color space conversión will be triggered.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks in advance.

Alternatively, look at it as most people don’t need Wi-Fi 6/6E (soon to be outdated due to Wi-Fi 7), so save the customer money and future proof the device with a USB 3.0 port for adding the feature anytime they like, for ~$25.

1 Like

802.11n is quite old, but there are still some people using 802.11n networks (mainly for smart devices which only use 2.4Ghz).

802.11ac is plenty fast for playing 4K. By the time we have video content that needs over 800Mbps connectivity, the device will be obsolete. Commercial discs hit 120Mbps and most 4K OTA content maxes out at about 40Mbps.

So once again – can you mention a specific use case where you need more than 800Mbps bandwidth? Because you certainly do not for video playback.

Looking over your forum posts, you seem to be critical of the new product which is fine, but maybe consider just not buying one?

1 Like

If there’s an HDR fallback layer, it will be used.
We don’t have colour space conversion for profile 5 yet, but @grahamh is looking in to this and this is indeed our goal to get rid of the pink and green screens

Cheers

Sam

4 Likes

not supporting Dolby Vision Profile 7, 8 is a deal breaker for me, so yes i will not be buying one. the homantic boxes are in really high demand with the coreelec dolby vision support working so well.

Great, I don’t think the WiFi implementation should affect you then…

21 Likes