OSMC won't start after latest update (2015-08-03)

Hey there! First of all, i’m a TOTAL beginner in Linux, OSMC, Kodi, etc… With help from this forum and other sites i managed to get my Raspberry running with OSCM a few months ago and has been running as a media player for my TV.

My hardware:
Raspberry Pi B+
SD Card (8GB, worked fine with 2015-06-01 version)
Direct Ethernet Connection
HDMI output connected
2.1 Amp Power Supply and Proper Higher Current Mini USB Cable

I noticed the new update last night and thought for a while if i should get the update. My principle is almost always “If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it” but this time I didn’t go for that… too bad this time.

I updated via My OSMC inside Kodi and everything seemed fine. Restarted and the screen just freezes in the “Start-up screen” where the OSMC-letters is shown… I restart again, via SSH, same result. Shutdown via SSH, unplugged the device. Started up, same result…

http://paste.osmc.io/rixinimuvo

Commands for journalctl & kodi.log doesn’t work. I just get error messages in SSH.

What should I do? I would rather not format the SD-card and install OSMC again… It took 4 days last time to get everything to work with external harddrives and so on…

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: When I write “kodi log” without the dot in SSH, OSMC boots up and i can watch all my movies and TV-series. When i log out from SSH the raspberry shuts down again…

Can you try the following from SSH:

sudo systemctl enable mediacenter
reboot

If this works, please upload full debug logs from My OSMC log uploader so we can see what caused it.

Thanks

Wow, that worked like a charm! Thank you!

Sure, how do i upload those debug logs? Is it in “My OSMC” and “Log Uploader”

EDIT: http://paste.osmc.io/acadulalal
Is that the one?

Thanks, that log is correct. As it happens I’ve suddenly realised what the cause of this issue is and why so few people are affected.

Basically if you were still on RC2 or earlier and had not updated at least once before June 15th you might be affected. We will have a fix out for this later today to prevent it happening to others. For anyone else that it has already happened to, the above steps via SSH should fix it.

1 Like

I have updated my RP2 today everything was working fine prior to the update but now I have the blue screen with the OSMC logo but my wireless mouse no longer works I have tried another with no luck therefore I have no way to control the system, I must admit I’m a novice how do I access the SSH:
to fix the problem.

Unix: type “ssh osmc@rp2ip” in a console.
Windows: download putty, type RP2’s ip into “host name” and click “Open”. Will ask for username, “osmc” and password “osmc”

Thank you malkavi for your quick reply, but I’m a total novice I do not how to enter this, do I need to put the SD card into my windows PC ? can you give me a step by step guide, I’m sorry to be a pain.

Download putty.exe from here:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Run it, and enter the hostname (probably osmc.local) or IP address of your Pi in the appropriate field then hit Open.

Then use osmc for both username and password. When you are at the command prompt then run the two commands I posted in my earlier post.

You are basically connecting to your Pi using SSH which gives you a command prompt to run commands remotely on your Pi.

Thank you DBM I can not access the RP2 enter this info the mouse no longer connects since the update,
do I need to put the SD card into my W7 PC ?

You do all of this from your PC. Leave your Pi plugged in and running.

I’m sorry DBM you have got the short straw, but how do I connect my PC to my RP2

You don’t need to touch your SD/RP2, only your PC.

Download putty and open it. Follow DBMandrake’s instructions.

thank you malkavi the penny has dropped, I did not know this was a remote access, I followed the instructions I entered “osmc” for the login but for some reason the my keypad entries for the “osmc” password do not register on the screen, any ideas.

They aren’t supposed to… They are hidden… Just enter them and press the enter key…

malkavi, DBM and AA thank you for your help, I entered the info from DBM into the SSH the the first 3 times it did not work I got error messages, the 4th time it worked, all up and running.
Thank you for your patience keep up the good work.

Hello,

My OSMC on RPi B also dead after update.

My hardware:
Raspberry Pi B
SD Card (8GB, worked with 2015-06-01 version)
WiFi connection
(Direct Ethernet Connection also possible)
HDMI output connected

After update RPi didnt started ok. After initialization only a “sad face” is displayed and RPi reset contiuously.

What should I do now? Make a clear new copy on OSMC?

If you can log in with SSH try the following. First check that you have not run out of disk space:

df -h

Second, please post the following logs by running these commands in SSH and posting the returned URL’s:

sudo journalctl | paste-log
paste-log /var/log/apt/term.log
paste-log /var/log/apt/history.log
paste-log /home/osmc/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

My first guess is that you have run out of disk space, but we will see.

Impossible to log in, because RPi reset again and again.
BTW: 8GB seems to be a quite big memory.

So, probably the only solution is to make a new copy of system :frowning:
Could you tell me how could I recover my movie library with windows? Or maybe the rest of configuration files?
Most of files are invisible in windows.

The problem you have with Windows is that it doesn’t support ext4 filesystems - and any addons I have tried only worked somewhat for ext3.
My solution would be to get a LiveCD linux or the equivalent on a USB device, boot from that and copy the stuff to an external medium with NTFS or FAT filesystem.
Derek

newbe how do I do sudo systemctl enable mediacenter
reboot