OSMC's April update is here with Kodi 16.1

Raspberry Pi 2: Kodi error with the update, with fresh install: install stops at around 90 percent (for half an hour so finally installed previous version without issues).

Thanks, It worked. I had to restart another time to get rid of some errors but that doesnā€™t matter.

Is it a yellow or a rainbow square?
Most likely the warning that your power supply isnā€™t strong enough.

i think it was yellow. i think this shows when cpu reaches 80 degrees, and cpu starts throttling.

Hasnt happened since though.

Was prompted for an update today,
My OSMC now says
ā€œOSMC February 2016 2016.02-04ā€
and System Info says
ā€œBuild: Open Source Media Center running Kodi 16.0ā€
ā€œCompiled: Feb 21 2016ā€

that doesnā€™t sound like the April update ?

EDIT: just did a manual update. Took a lot longer than the one earlier today, now I am on OSMC 2016.04-1 and Kodi 16.1-RC3

so what was the earlier automatic update ?

Most likely your system has been sitting on the Update prompt since before the latest version was released. So the prompt was for a previously downloaded version.

If you have not used the device for a long time (days/weeks) and the upgrade prompt is sitting there when you try to use it, I would say no to upgrading then perform a manual update in My OSMC which will recheck for the latest updates.

1 Like

Hi there,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your work on this. OSMC is great :slight_smile:

I have OSMC running on two RPi2 without hassle, everything working fine. Earlier this week I bought a RPi3 and Iā€™ve been getting some issues. Iā€™ve tried several times with the April and March versions, and in all of them, I am able to do the initial setup of OSMC, but on the second boot, it fails.

After I do the first load, I end up in OSMC menu without issues but if I turn off the pi or restart it, Iā€™ve had a couple of possible outcomes:

• It loads up some kind of chkdsk and mentions that the file system was modified. I let it complete and then it boots again and keeps failing on a repeating sequence of ā€œfailed to start login serviceā€ and something about D-Bus.
  • It loads up and keeps showing the sad face. (trying something in the background and always failing)
  • I was able to restart once, when I first installed the March version. After that reboot, I decided to update via My OSMC > Manual Update, and then I got the same issues as above.

Setup:
RPi 3
RPi Official power supply 5.1A (I noticed there was an improvement from the 5A RPi2)
Kingston 16GB Class 10

Repro steps:

• OSMC installer > English > RPi 2/3 > 2016.04-01 > SD Card > Wired ā€“ OK
  • Booted up RPi3 with SD card ā€“ Format & Install OK
  • Selected English
  • Selected Europe - Lisbon Timezone.
  • Completed the initial configuration. Selected OSMC skin.
  • Power > Reboot

This time, upon reboot, the error was the following:
ā€œ/proc/cmdline no such file or directoryā€

Can someone help ? Thanks!

Kingston cards are known to give some trouble. If possible use another card samsung/sandisk or alternative edit config.txt on the first partition (you can do that with a card reader on your PC) and add dtoverlay=mmc to it.

But it might be that also your SD card is jsut gone. Also not sure what you means with 5.1A power supply?

1 Like

@fzinken Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that setting right away

Iā€™ve been using Kingston cards (exactly the same as this one) in my other two RPi2 without issues. And this card is just fresh out of the box.

Regarding the powersupply - my bad, I meant I have this one: (5.1V - 2.5A)

And for RPi2 I am using 5V - 2A.

Thank you again.
I will let you know if it works

@fzinken You were right. I bought a SanDisk and now everything is working as expected :slight_smile:

By the way: I had tried to change the dtoverlay=mmc on the Kingston SD but it didnā€™t work.

Thanks alot mate!

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Maybe that card was really faulty. How about the two other devices are they updated with latest version?

@fzinken Sorry for the very late reply.

I have just uploaded my RPi2 to the latest version 2016.05.01 without issues. It was running on Sept-15 version. It is running on a Kingston sd card.
I do not have access at the moment to update the other device (RPi2), but I think it is running on Oct-15 or something, also on Kingston card, and also without issues.

Maybe that card was really faulty, or some kind of incompatibility with RPi3 + Kingston ?

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers

Yes there is a know issue with Kingston cards. If you want to continue to use them after last years October upgrade you need to add dtoverlay=mmc to /boot/config.txt.

But better get a new quality card

1 Like

But this known issue is only with RPi3 or RPi2 as well ? Because, Iā€™ve just upgraded my RPi2 to the latest version and is seems fine so far.

But I will keep that in mind, if something happens, Iā€™ll make the card switch.

Thanks

Itā€™s with all RPiā€™s but it might only impact a certain kind of Kingston cards.
Or your issue might be actually a faulty card. But if you add mmc and it works than you know for sure that this is the issue.

1 Like