OSMC's May update is here - OSMC

Last month, we announced an important security fix for all versions of OSMC and released Kodi v17.2.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2017/06/osmcs-may-update-is-here-2/
2 Likes

Nice touch that will get the people that thinks this is a raspbian distro to think again :smiley:

however you should add that its based on Debian into that message.

Ah Yes!!!

Thank you for this great work.

I really love OSMC (and Kodi of course) :smiley: :apple:

Regard.

Hi Sam,

in april you had fixed the CEC problem with AVR’s:

Fix an issue with CEC which could cause an AVR to be repeatedly powered on

With the april version installed on my RPi2 and my onkyo AVR erverything works fine.
But after the update today the old problems are back:
I turn my tv off, CEC turns off the receiver too, but then OSMC turns my AVR back on again…

Can I downgrade the libCEC to the april version? Or do you have any other idea?
thx

A new post might help, but unfortunately CEC is one of those things that is very difficult to get right for all devices.

If we revert the changes made in this update, it will cause problems for other users. Hopefully this can be resolved in upstream libCEC properly in the near future.

Sam

After the update does not work i2c?

Please start a forum post with debug logs for any issues.
Aware of an issue with I2C. Hopefully this will be resolved shortly.

720p x265 on the rpi3 is actually usable now. Thank you!

hifiberry does not appear as output device after this update anymore.
cheers
b

This has already been resolved (please search the forum). An update with this fix included will be pushed shortly.

Thanks

Sam

oh, i see! thanx for your extremely fast reaction!

6 posts were split to a new topic: 10 Bit h.265 vs h.264 decoding

preparation for “Debian Stretch (9.0)” sounds perfect. Would be good to get it soon. Newer packages are required by several other nice things you can do in parallel to KODI. I personally use my device for Nextcloud as well and some apps require newer releases than we have in Jessie.

Thanks a lot for all your work. OSMC is perfect and a cool starting point for other projects as well.

Thanks
Tombar

Get Debian as soon as possible? it will be released whenever Debian feels like releasing it, OSMC has no say over this all Sam can do is prepare for it.

@sam_nazarko

Can you either compile in BBR as TCP congestion option for 4.9 or better yet make it the default?

https://blog.jie.today/2016/12/09/using-bbr-congestion-control-to-improve-connection-speed/

The config flags are

CONFIG_TCP_CONG_BBR=y
CONFIG_NET_SCH_FQ=y

1 Like

I must admit I am slightly hesitant to update because everything is running just right and I don’t want to have those problems with CEC again. Having to change to TV and back every time I want to use OSMC! :grimacing:
Are there manual changes to config files that change this behavior or are the Updates changing things in the code so no user can reverse it?
Thanks! :heart_eyes:
Alex

1 Like

I’ll accept a PR to add this to the kernel, but won’t make it the default at this time. I haven’t seen any benchmarks yet to justify why it should be the default TCP congestion algorithm.

Perhaps with some benchmarks in the future, there could be a case put forward. For now, if it ain’t broke…

NextCloud can run on Debian Jessie just fine. Using it in production on Jessie servers without any issues.

@sam_nazarko I’ll see if I can find some time to submit a PR.

In the meantime, with the latest updates, something strange is happening when I try to play a file. It seems like I have to try a couple times before it’ll play. Really kind of odd.

Hi @sam_nazarko! I have the same auto turn on problem with the may update. I downgraded to a previous backup I made but unfortunately I have the 2017.04-1 version (with the srt security issue).
Is there a way to upgrade to 2017.04-2 but NOT to 2017.05-1? Or will the 2017.04-2 build be available to download? Thank you