OSMC's October update is here with Debian Buster and Kodi 18.8 - OSMC

As usual please open a new thread. But most likely your best bet would be a new install with a buster image as soon as they are published.

Ok I’ll do that tonight. Any chance that osmc now actually supports btrfs so that I could try to just boot without building a separate initrd file? I think I know the answer is “no”, but I’d love to be surprised…

@sam_nazarko just curious about the kernel if you got plans to bump it to 5.4 or higher in the near future ? since it includes alot of optimizations for rpi and if you go above 5.6 then wireguard is supported out of the box

1 Like

Hi @sam_nazarko,

Thanks for the update. Updating worked without any issues, but I encountered a strange thing: When opening the MyOSMC (circle-) menu in my Vero4k I seem to be stuck there. I can‘t exit this menu with any button or trick (except unpowering).
Can anybody confirm this?

Best from Germany,
Tobi

No - but I’m happy to accept a PR to add support for this

Sam

Figured it out.
I’m using mele f10 remote controller, and now after the update the power button shuts down vero, it used to open the power menu where I could choose what to do

If I was to guess (which is all I can do with the info provided) I would say your remotes back button is programmed to send a ‘previous menu’ action instead of a ‘back’ action. I can confirm that sending a ‘previous menu’ action (aka esc on keyboard and home button with the OSMC remote) does not exit the My OSMC add-on, but that is not new behavior. If this is where your issue is I would suggest using the Keymap Editor add-on to remap your back button in global to “back”.

I had the same issue with netfilter-persistent. Apparently it belongs to iptables which I installed a couple years ago and don’t really need now. I removed it with

sudo apt-get --purge remove netfilter-persistent

Then the update run without exceptions till the end, but I got the “sad face” after restart. Reinstalling mediacenter helped:

sudo systemctl stop mediacenter
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get install --reinstall rbp2-mediacenter-osmc
sudo systemctl start mediacenter

My device is RPi 2, thanks for update.

My osmc and kodi on rapsberry pi 3b+ stopped working after today update :frowning: After the OSMC splash screen, my Weather screen went completely broken, cant SSH to osmc at all. Then it became irresponsive. It was working fine before the update.

Suggest to open a new thread. But might be related to a broken SD Card.

So the update can break the SD card? Just trying to understand the root problem here

Well SD cards can break anytime. But the update writes significant data >400M onto the card and therefore can trigger a break.
Surely there are also other possibilities depending on the packages installed but as by now I guess we have many people updated to this version without an issue it is quite likely something like that.

I could confirm that the SD card is probably broken. After several restarting attempt, it now fails to boot up. Is there a way to still clone the SD card to another one or should I do fresh install on a new one?
Thanks for the help!

Doesn’t sound likely but doesn’t harm to try to make a full image of it.

Suggest to use a new card and test it with h2testw before.

Thank you! PSA: back up your device and consider upgrading your SD card before the update!

1 Like

Often, SD cards just go read-only so if you can mount it on a (linux) device that’s running properly you might well be able to recover stuff.

I have to stay on 18.6 with 4.9 kernel to keep MVC 3D, correct?

Well it’s generally nice to have a backup, regardless of upgrades :wink:

No, if you updated to the latest 4.9 + the October update you will have 3D playing fine

It doesn’t do anything on the raspberry pi 4
Will there be a fresh image available for the raspberry pi 4?

Yours sincerely.
LaurensG