OSMC's September update is here with Debian 11 (Bullseye) - OSMC

In May, we released test builds of Debian Bullseye for all supported OSMC devices. For the next four months, we've been working hard on a number of improvements and fixes to ensure that OSMC is released on the latest version of Debian with the best experience possible.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://osmc.tv/2022/09/osmcs-september-update-is-here-with-debian-11-bullseye/
6 Likes

I have already request in the “testing” thread.

on raspberry just have 2GB of free space on SD for do an upgrade whitout any issue?

if now how i can free some spaces on my 8GB sd? some suggestions?

That should be sufficient.

Thanks @sam_nazarko!

Is there a way to upgrade from the command line? (this is a headless build)
I’m on RPi4, I tried the usual
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade && reboot

I got kodi 19.4 and some upgrades but debian is still buster.

Never use that command!
Use sudo apt dist-upgrade!

This should be safe. It should do exactly the same as dist-upgrade after checking sources. But the user will then need to check for updates and update again.

I still recommend to use apt-get over apt. Only one has a stable interface (the former).

The first update only switches sources to Bullseye. The second update will then be against the new repositories.

1 Like

Notwithstanding a “temporary” storage failure interrupting the process, the update on my Pi 3B completed and everything appears to be running normally.
Another good job, @sam_nazarko .

Please start new threads for any issue you experience.

all updates installed whitout any issue from ssh.

i have reboot my pi2 after all and at reboot i have to do “apt autoremove” to clean probably some residues.

during the upgrade procedure i read (on ssh procedure) something about kodi 19.5 but at restart again kodi 19.4 it’s start.

anyway all works, for now, whitout any issue.

i can test after if DAZN addon still work and test if dash and widevine works also at today

if i have some negative feedback i open a new thread in section.

thanks again to continue to maintain in life my pi2 :wink:

As explained in the release notes, Kodi 19.5 has not been officially tagged upstream yet.

1 Like

Updated this morning on my beloved Vero 4K. No problems whatsoever, everything working smoothly just as before.

:slight_smile:

Thank you! I love my Vero 4K+, it is the best media player on the market!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your great work! <3

Went smooth, working well, no issues so far.

One question: What’s the reason to ship linux 4.9.269? Debian 11 ships 5.10.0, Raspbian 11 ships 5.15.61. I wonder why you decided not to pick a more current one as base?

I believe AMLogic are not supporting S905X/D with 5.x.x kernels. Was there anything in particular in 5.x.x you wanted?

We don’t follow the upstream Debian kernel - that has its own limitations, and we wouldn’t have hardware acceleration.

Sam

https://linux-meson.com/mainlining.html

Support for OSMC Vero4K+ was added in v 5.18

That’s correct. We are working on upstreaming support for the Vero 4K/4K+ to improve longevity. There will be a post about support commitments soon.

However we have a long way to go before feature parity can be achieved. Users can use a mainline kernel now but won’t have full hardware video acceleration capabilities

I notice VC-1 videos are playing with hardware acceleration on my Pi 3B+ again. Is that a new thing in this release, or did I just miss the change in an earlier one?

This is indeed an improvement with the new release – but it is limited to Pi models < Pi 4. I didn’t list it to avoid confusion.

this worked - a second apt update && apt full-upgrade, and I got bullseye.
The full upgrade process worked really smoothly on RPi4. I only needed to tweak a few python scripts I run in the little server and all back in business.
I noticed we are still using kernel 5.10(.78). I guess this one is supposed to be rock solid - it seems it is