OSMC's September update is here with Debian 11 (Bullseye) - OSMC

Thanks for all the effort porting OSMC to Debian Bullseye.

The upgrade on my RPi 4B went smoothly. It took about an hour which I consider normal given that all the underlying OS resources needed to be upgraded. The only thing I had to smooth out manually were the python3 modules. Obviously, python3 was purged and reinstalled completely so that I had to reinstall some modules with pip3.

2 Likes

Does this release include hardware deinterlacing of live TV on the Raspberry Pi ?

No - it doesn’t.

The update seems to be working fine for me on my Vero 4K+ so far.

It did an odd initial update with a reboot where it sat booting for a bit and timed out trying to sync network time, but then it booted into the March version, which I already had on there. Then forcing another update it seemed to do the needful.

1 Like

No problems for me on my Vero 4K. And in bonus, the multiple CEC bugs with my LG Oled TV are fixed !
Nice work

Thanks!
I see /lib/modules/4.9.269-9-osmc/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko on my OSMC, and it’s in the osmc-openlinux-4.9 branch, but not in master branch.
How do master and osmc-openlinux-4.9 relate?

The 4.9 branch is the version we are shipping.

Run a manual update twice but it doesn’t find the latest build.

Hi,

I would create a new topic with some logs please:

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

I have a RPi 4 which i use as a server and a RPi 3 as a client. I’m accessing the files on the client using NFS. I have an external HDD mounted on the server with the files.
I’ve been having this setup and everything was working fine until i updated OSMC on both the devices. Now on the client, it cannot open the mounted path from the server. On the server everything is working alright.

I tried ls -lah /mnt/ on the client and i’m getting:

ls: cannot access '/mnt/HDD': No such file or directory
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4.0K Oct 26  2021 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4.0K Sep 19 23:48 ..
d?????????  ? ?    ?       ?            ? HDD

I also tried following the “OSMC as a server” guide here again and everything seemed fine until i ran the exportfs -a command: (note that i’ve ran everything before when i did the setup, more than a year ago)

exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/.etab.lock for locking: errno 13 (Permission denied)
exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/.etab.lock for locking: errno 13 (Permission denied)
exportfs: can't lock /var/lib/nfs/etab for writing

and with sudo:

exportfs: /mnt/HDD does not support NFS export

Can somebody help me what to do next?

Update: I restored a backup of the server sd card i made just before updating OSMC, and the files are accessible from the client again. I would still like to update OSMC though.

Please make a new thread in the appropriate subforum with complete logs. Support requests are not conducted here in the version release announcement thread.

I had exact experience on my Vero 4K.

Vero 4K is wired to router with good internet connection hence it was strange to time out.

Odd, but the second attempt to upgrade went smoothly.

EDIT: Found a clue: Single www.google.com network call on launch - #4 by joakim_s

Same issue as some others on two Vero 4K+ initial update with a reboot where it sat booting for a bit and timed out trying to sync network time, but then it booted into the March version

Second update worked perfectly, mine are both wired connection so something funky happing on first attempt.

My setups don’t have any add ons of any real customised stuff except Windows shares and using the confluence skin.

Why is there no git history with the 4.9 branch?

This is prohibited by the SoC provider’s license agreement unfortunately.

My understanding is that OSMC s a Opensource project with the name itself standing for Opensource Mediacenter, and as such would be keen on sharing info rather then obfuscate. I can understand if the vendor places some restrictions but there is nothing that holds you back from detailing your specific changes, you might wanna be straight with the community and tell the reason why you have chosen not to and if posible a timeframe for such a release.

Sorry to sound this blunt, but what you said, just makes me think of an greedy 2 year old that doesn’t want to share.

I come here hoping to take a peek into the code, but reading a “lifespan” of the code only lasting 1 major versions, plus that the “edge code” isn’t in alignment with the rest of the code (IE opensource).

Should I skip the idea of OSMC?

All source code is fully released for each version of OSMC.

The AMLogic software license agreement prohibits the disclosure of sources with Git history. As such, we can only provide the source code itself. If in future we can get permission to do so, we will publish the full Git history without hesitation.

If you wish to do so, it’s certainly your choice. We have always published our sources since day one, unlike other projects which use the AML vendor kernel and publish binaries for testing without any source code.

For some things - we can’t make sources available if we don’t have them, eg Raspberry Pi bootloader firmware. For this - we have to simply ship a blob. But this will be the case with other distributions too.

Thanks for your understanding.

2 Likes