Out of box - expectations vs experience

Hi there.
I’m rather new to this and no doubt most of my experiences are due to lack of familiarity. I’ve spent a couple of hours going through the wiki but can’t seem to find answers. And I’ve spend quite a few hours playing round with the Vero.
First, let me say: I think the VERO 4K is a great device. It is playing away nicely now. I purchased it for several reasons:

1. I have a whole lot of FLAC, OGG encoded music on a server (set up by my children) - and I (they) have been searching for a player that would play the tracks in order (some other players do not) and with an optical out. No disappointment there. All works fine.
  2. I had another player but it had so much google rubbish on it and I had privacy concerns.
    The VERO worked out of the box. Updates went smoothly. However, a couple of minor niggles:
  3. The menu structure is, to an idiot user like me, bewildering - particularly in finding network shares and loading media. I would suggest simplifying the menu structure. And maybe providing a download and print link diagram.
    I don’t need it do index the video library…I just need to be able to navigate to the file I need and click on it to play. I think we have managed to set it up to do that. But that took hours.
  4. I can’t seem to get it to play ISO files. It cannot even see them. What am I doing wrong?
  5. I also can’t seem to order folders by date. I found the menu, but it seems not to work.
  6. Can VLC be loaded on it?
    Overall, this is an excellent gadget. It does what I need.
    Regards and thanks for reading.

Most of these are issues with the software that it runs called Kodi rather than the device or operating system itself. There is little we can do about Kodi issues as this is handled by another team/company/organisation.

1 Like

A new skin might help with this one. Unfortunately, because there are a lot of settings, it’s hard to simplify. There is however a ‘Standard, Advanced and Expert’ option for menu settings.

Attached media should be found under ‘Videos’.

This resource should help you: http://kodi.wiki/view/First_time_user

Hard to say from this alone; but have you tried taking some photos so we can see what you’re doing? Sometimes if files can’t be seen, it’s because you are in the wrong menu; i.e. trying to play Videos from the Music menu.

In theory, yes with a desktop environment; but the performance won’t be great and it would be hard to control.

A screenshot may help here.

Hi there jb2cool
Thanks for your reply and clarification. Very helpful.

Hi Sam
Thanks for your replies. Much appreciate your taking the time and trouble.
I’ll work through them.
I do have another stupid question. The remote works perfectly with the little USB thingy. But that is the other thing in the box - it has a 3.5mm jack on it and what looks like an IR receiver. What does it do?

1 Like

It’s an IR extender. If you are using your own IR remote to control the Vero 4K, and you need to mount it behind your TV out of sight, you use that cable.

FAB! Thanks for that, bmillham.