Overscan Problem

I doubt this has anything to do with the Vero 4k or OSMC, but posting here since folks are a little more approachable and helpful than the Kodi forums can sometimes be.

New TV, a low-end Samsung UN50MU6300FXZC which is a basic LED 4k unit. My Kodi interface setting is at 1080p,60Hz. I set Kodi calibration to maximize the UI image to the TV display. I also set Kodi to set the display refresh rate on start/stop of playback.

Seems to play 1080p and 720p media fine, although I haven’t checked everything I have. I do notice that on the few 480p media files, I’m experiencing overscan. So I assume that my TV is doing this or is it Kodi?

How to I fix this? I think if I turn off “adjust refresh rate” it fixes it, but I assume allowing the native refresh rate of the media would be best.

I probably need some education on this topic, but I don’t need anyone to type up a thesis on my behalf.

I see no overscan settings in the TV menu, by the way.

Cheers,
Robert

Hi,

Kodi presently (with v17) will only adjust refresh rate, not resolution, when playing different formats. This changes in Kodi v18.

Can you take a photo of the symptom as well as the menu settings on your TV? You ideally want a Just Scan option on your TV and I wonder if you have some stretching enabled. It’s more likely you have some stretching enabled in Kodi.

It might take a bit of fiddling but we should be able to work it out.

Sam

You can adjust the ratio while a video is playing. Press Select (or menu to bring up the OSD) and select the video icon. From there you can adjust the ratio.

If you are using a library it will remember the setting for individual videos, and I think you can tell it to make that the default for all videos.

Not sure I follow this. Yes it, (v17), can adjust the refresh rate unless its set to pass the videos “native” refresh rate to the TV - right? But adjust resolution? Unless you mean v17 just “stretches” the video (eg 480p so it fills the screen) vs. v18 actually rescaling like most modern TVs do.

Well, isn’t that what Kodi does with, for example, 640x480 video when sending it to a 1080p TV so that it’s not a small image surrounded by four black borders?

I’m not trying to be argumentative, just really don’t get what you’re saying…

Yeah, thought about that but it seems a bit of a kludge. Fine for those one or two oddball videos that weren’t encoded properly but I would rather not do that as default for all my 480p material as I have both 24hz, 50hz and 60hz stuff and I assume they might need different amounts of zoom.

OK, so in the meantime I’ve been playing around and discovered that I did miss a setting in the Samsung picture menu where I had it set to 16/9 standard format. If I click on that even though I’m not going to change it, I see an additional setting called Fit to Screen. Ding, ding, ding… Winner, winner, chicken dinner…

Went back to Kodi and had to reset the UI calibration, now the corners are 0,0 and 0,0. And now it seems that whatever resolution and refresh rate the video media has is passed to the TV and fills the screen with no overscan.

So… I assume this is the correct way to do this. Am I correct in thinking that “adjust display refresh rate” is the best setting to use? I’m just trying to get the best picture possible, duh. Lol.

Thanks for your help, happy to hear more details and suggestions…

Cheers
Robert

Yes, that is the correct setting to get the best picture.

I know my idea was a bit of a kludge. I use it on the rare occasion that I run across a bad encode. It’s interesting that on my Vizio there is no way to turn off the overscan that I’ve ever been able to find. After adjusting the GUI to fit, I’ve only had to use my idea a few times, and there is no doubt that they were bad encodes. All properly encoded 480 source plays fine.

1 Like

Thanks bhillham. Yep, I’ve got a couple poor encodes I’ve used the zoom for. One of these days I’ll have to dig out those discs I ripped in the early days when I had even less of a clue what I was doing when I ripped and encoded my DVDs…

Cheers
Robert

Same here, I have a number of DVDs that I need to re-rip because I messed up the rip bad on some of them.

As I understand it, kodi will ‘pass through’ the native video resolution and refresh rate when that ‘adjust refresh rate’ setting is ticked and the video is a higher resolution than the GUI. What it doesn’t do (and may change with Leia?) is pass through resolutions which are lower than the GUI resolutions (eg 720p).

1 Like

Thanks GrahamH,

So for KODI 17, if it doesn’t pass video resolutions less than the UI interface (in most cases 1080p) then it must be Kodi doing the up scaling, correct?

And for KODI 18 it can be set to pass those lower resolutions and let the TV handle the upscaling (or not, depending on the TV and user settings).

Is that pretty much the summary of that setting?

Cheers,
Robert

Yes.

I don’t actually know that - I haven’t yet dared try Kodi 18. :wink: But I do know there is a facility for finer control over which resolutions to use.

Yes — Kodi v18 supports this

Thanks folks, for the information. All is well, sorry it turned out to be mostly unrelated to Kodi and not at all OSMC/Vero 4k.

Don’t you just love it when someone gets a new TV and is suddenly all questions… Lol…

This is the most responsive and helpful tech forum I’ve ever been on.

Cheers,
Robert

Glad it’s all resolved.

I’m sure your question will help others in the future.

Give us a shout if you need any help.

Thanks for your kind words. The mods on this team are very good – I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve them :slight_smile:

Sam