Permanently change terminal font size and/or type

I need the font size bigger at the terminal (console) screen which occurs when exiting OSMC (and press Esc when the blue background with the OSMC symbol occurs).
I also tried setfont in both ways, also already added to ~/bash.rc and different other things (all of the above), however after a reboot all changes are gone.

Just now I also tried to add Lat15-TerminusBold32x16.psf.gz to the mediacenter font section (for all 3 resolution queries), and even that didn’t help.
The file changes are kept after reboot, which proves the SD card is writable, but the font still stays “OSMC default” - whatever that may be.

You might be better off using SSH – where you can customise the font and display more easily.

You mean SSH for all changes within the console?
Well, sometimes I don’t have the notebook around, and e.g. I need to turn my VPN on or off via the terminal, so it makes most sense to do with the TV I sit in front of anyway :slight_smile:

Is it really impossible to achieve such a permanent terminal font change?

You could probably add something to /etc/profile.d to adjust the font on login.

The file name is ~/.bashrc

If ~/bash.rc is just a typo, couuld you show us its contents:

paste-log ~/.bashrc

and let us know the URL.

1 Like

~/bash.rc was just a typo. In fact:

Added the command line setfont /usr/share/consolefonts/Lat15-TerminusBold32x16.psf.gz to the file ~/.bashrc and rebooted. Terminal still shows the previous (small) front.

EDIT:

Do you mean profile.d directory or the file profile beneath /etc?
And do you have any proposal on how to add it (I am quite a Linux noob)

Hi,

It will be untill you login, if you are not seeing the font increase after logging in at the terminal, please do as dillthedog has requested:

Thanks Tom.

https://paste.osmc.tv/loqunehiza

Rebooted, no change after logon.
And as long as setfont is being executed without sudo, the message “KDFONTOP: the operation is not allowed” occurs.

Edit: Would be cool if someone with OSMC could reproduce this. I cannot imagine I’m the only one using OSMC with a Pi under a TV :wink:

Hi,

Sorry for late reply, busy day at work. I’ve got this working on my vero4k and see no reason why this shouldn’t work on the pi. My .bashrc is as follows:

https://paste.osmc.tv/tomuzafayo

Please not the location of the command, it is at the bottom of the file. I suggest you remove the command from its current line in .bashrc and append to the bottom of the file.

Thanks Tom.

Is this via SSH (eg putty) or on the TV screen?

Perhaps you’ve changed something on your home directory. According to Bash Startup Files (Bash Reference Manual)

When Bash is invoked as an interactive login shell… it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is readable.

On my vanilla installation of OSMC, .bash_profile and .bash_login don’t exist and .profile sources .bashrc.

If you don’t have .bash_profile or .bash_login in your home directory, you could always try to move the setfont command to .profile, assuming it exists.

As weird as it seems: It suddenly started working.
I guess it might have to do with the fact that now I execute setfont with sudo out of bashrc.

There is just this one thing that the actual log-on dialog still comes up in the original (small) font. After log-on my “requested” font is there. It’s not a big deal, but could that also be changed?

I already mentioned this. I can’t think of a way to do this from the Kodi GUI other than by modifying /usr/bin/mediacenter, which I don’t recommend.

It is possible to create a “drop-in” for the systemd mediacenter service that will give you the large font at the login screen but you’d need to run systemctl stop mediacenter from the command line (ie from a separate SSH session), which is probably not what you want.

1 Like

It’s OK. I can fully cope with what I got now, especially considering that we all might use OSMC even more during these difficult times :wink:

I wish everyone to stay healthy.

1 Like