Pi 3 WiFi unstable

Disabling WiFi power management settings did the trick - I can access OSMC anytime and immediately via SSH or SFTP.

Also, added this line: sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off to /etc/rc.local - to keep power management off after reboot.

Thanks
sew

My OSMC has no iwconfig did you install it?

That’s quite strange. What does dpkg -l | grep wireless gives you?

this:

ii wireless-firmware-osmc 1.1.0 all Wireless firmware (proprietary) for OSMC

It is not installed by default in OSMC. You need to install the wireless-tools package.

Interesting, I can not recall that I installed it (as I only have wired connection) and I have the wireless-tools installed. Maybe installed it before to test something for the forum.

@MarkusLange sudo apt-get install wireless-tools and you are done

Sleepwalker installs :grinning:

confirm - I had to install wireless-tools package to get iwconfig.

Hi Guys, pi 3 wifi even with power management to off seems to not perform ok at all, it’s not possible to watch a descent size mkv from NAS with onboard wifi…

Any way to disable the onboard so we can use a usb wifi dongle??
(just adding a dongle seems to not work, it keeps using the bad onboard wifi)

Thank you so much that hint helped me out

I created /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf and added into it:
blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist brcmutil

saved it and rebooted

After this it accepted my usb dongle and the world is again a better place… :slight_smile:

Should maybe an option inside the OSMC-addons to do that

Yes, that’s not a bad idea.

Sam

Thanks, if you put it inside the Installer it can be done from the beginning, but then you need to seperate between RPi 2 and Rpi 3 (but it shouldn’t affect the RPi 2 but maybe with the Original Dongle from the foundation)

I wouldn’t add it to the original installer. It’s an odd preseed step and would probably confuse some users. Disabling via My OSMC would be good enough.

how do I undo the above command sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off to /etc/rc.local - I have copied my osmc img onto another pi3 for my daughter on the wifi dongle does not start with osmc as in connect to the internet is there a way to undo this so it connects automatically when osmc boots thanks

If you added it to /etc/rc.local than just remove it and reboot.
But your problem might have other reasons so try to provide logs.

@fzinken hi mate thanks for the reply how do I delete it like so /etc/rc.local then rm iwconfig wlan0 power off … ? thanks

You remove stuff the same way you added it!
I don’t know which steps you followed but if you followed this one:

then you just edit /etc/rc.local and remove the lines again.

CTRL + K when you select the correct line