Pi 3 won't boot

I already posted logs: https://paste.osmc.tv/nakajupujo

The network I was trying to connect to was the same one I was trying to pre-seed.

I tried moving my 2.4GHz network from channel 13 to channel 11, and it now shows up in the list of WiFi networks, so thatā€™s clearly why it wasnā€™t appearing before - the Pi just canā€™t see channel 13. But when I try to connect to it, I get the same error that I got for the 5GHz network, and it doesnā€™t connect.

From the log, it doesnā€™t look like youā€™ve installed (and configured) the crda package

1. How do I do that?
  2. Is that something that should be installed as standard?
  1. sudo apt-get install crda. Set REGDOMAIN in /etc/default/crda.
  2. Direct that one to Sam.

Okay, I set REGDOMAIN to GB, and now the 2.4GHz WiFi network on channel 13 is visible - which is cool! On the face of it, that does seem like something that ought to be installed by defaultā€¦

This hasnā€™t fixed the error Iā€™m getting trying to actually connect to a WiFi network, though.

Should I reinstall OSMC without pre-seeding a WiFi network and see if that helps? Or do you need fresh logs, orā€¦?

I was hoping that Sam would have provided input regarding the preseeding process. I know very little about how it works.

Have you tried via connmanctl to see if it just a MyOSMC issue?

I havenā€™t. Youā€™re going to have to talk me through it or point me to a tutorial, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

I donā€™t think Iā€™m doing this right. Error messages everywhere. :slightly_frowning_face:

osmc@osmc:~$ connmanctl
Error getting VPN connections: Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.29" (uid=1000 pid=1006 comm="connmanctl ") interface="net.connman.vpn.Manager" member="GetConnections" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="net.connman.vpn"
connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No carrier
connmanctl> services
*AO Wired                ethernet_b827eb2723d9_cable
connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No carrier
connmanctl> agent on
Agent registered
connmanctl> services
*AO Wired                ethernet_b827eb2723d9_cable
connmanctl>

Is Wifi disabled in MyOSMC?
What does cat /proc/net/wireless give you?
Or iwconfig?

Oops, I had temporarily disabled it, yes. It went better this time, but the final stage still errored:

connmanctl> connect wifi_b827eb72768c_42616720456e64_managed_psk
Error /net/connman/service/wifi_b827eb72768c_42616720456e64_managed_psk: In progress
connmanctl>

And Iā€™m not sure at what point Iā€™m supposed to enter the passwordā€¦?

osmc@osmc:~$ cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 22
osmc@osmc:~$ iwconfig
-bash: iwconfig: command not found

Did you remember agent on ?

You are the first person in the UK Iā€™ve seen using channel 13.

Usually thatā€™s a German thing, and even then, very rare.

Wouldnā€™t installing crda by default and setting REGDOMAIN to GB be a good idea for someone whose location is in GB? Maybe that would have some negative side effects, I donā€™t knowā€¦

Pretty sure I did, but Iā€™ll try it again when I have a moment.

I got bored of grappling with the WiFi, and decided to reinstall OSMC, this time selecting ā€œwired networkā€ in the options when initialising the SD card. Having gone through the installation process again, Iā€™m now able to connect to my 5GHz WiFi without any errors.

I am therefore confident that the root cause of the problem was the original attempt to pre-seed a WiFi network while initialising the card. Somehow that not only prevents it from connecting to the pre-seeded network, but it spoils things so badly that any attempt to connect to any WiFi network after that fails.

Iā€™m going to let this thread lapse now, as it has already drifted away from its original topic (what turned out to be a dodgy memory card). I might re-raise one or two other things in threads of their own if the mood takes me!