Pi 3 won't boot

Clean install of OSMC 19. Freezes during boot with the message
/sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libuuid.so.1: invalid ELF header
Maybe my lightly-used, OSMC-branded memory card has developed a fault?

I’ll try reinitialising the card. Will let you know if it goes any better the second time.

It looks like the operating system is corrupted.

Did you recently suffer power loss or an unexpected shutdown?

That was my very first boot after installing the OS from scratch.

EDIT: I mean, it went through the installation process okay, and rebooted, but never made it to the Kodi desktop screen.

In that case, I’d re-download the image for good measure.

I’m trying that now. It’s “installing files” on the second installation. I’ll let you know if it works this time!

Check the card with h2testw

The card isn’t likely to be counterfeit, if that’s what you’re thinking. It was bought from the OSMC store, and I’m assuming you guys don’t sell counterfeit memory cards. :slightly_smiling_face:

But if the second installation also fails, I’ll give that a try.

Not what I had in mind, but the only way to figure out if it has failed.

1 Like

Second attempt reported installation complete, attempted to reboot, and didn’t even make it as far as the splash screen.

I’m running h2testw. At the current rate it will take at least an hour to test the whole card; I guess I’ll let you know when it’s done.

Can you try with an older version of OSMC (i.e. November version)?

Okay, I got an error in h2testw:

Error writing file 'G:\14.h2w', offset 0x26c00000.
It is still possible to verify the test data written up to this point.
(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Code 1117)
Warning: Only 29800 of 29801 MByte tested.
Writing speed: 7.48 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

So I guess my OSMC memory card has packed up. (That or my card reader is knackered).

Okay, I switched to using a posher SanDisk card and it has now booted successfully after installation, so it seems safe to assume the OSMC card is knackered.

Comments on setup process:

1. It failed to connect to the 5GHz WiFi using the details I put in while setting up the memory card. I managed to work around it temporarily by borrowing another device’s Ethernet cable.

Now that I’ve got it up and running, I still can’t get the WiFi to connect. Some debug logs of me trying to:
https://paste.osmc.tv/nakajupujo

1. I normally control a Pi with Yatse on my Android phone. Connecting to the Pi with Yatse for the first time brings up a confirmation screen on the Pi, asking if I really want to give the app that much access. Since the app isn’t capable of controlling the Pi until after one has selected Yes on the confirmation screen, I couldn’t use the app to select Yes on that screen! I managed to get around it by installing Kore instead, which doesn’t seem to require confirmation, then used Kore to confirm that Yatse is acceptable. So Yatse is now working; but this seems unnecessarily complicated.

2. It can’t see my 2.4GHz WiFi at all - but I’m guessing this is a hardware limitation and it just can’t see channel 13. (It’s a Pi 3B+).

Any thoughts on not connecting to 5GHz WiFi?

Which channel on 5GHz?
Both could be similar to the region setting issue we see on the Vero.

5GHz and 2.4GHz are behaving differently. The 2.4GHz network doesn’t appear in the list at all; 5GHz does, but gives me an error when I try to connect to it. (There’s probably something in the logs?)

5GHz is on channel 48, which is pretty standard.

Other observations:

• Why, when I’ve set my country to the UK in the installation process, does Settings / Interface / Regional / Region default format always end up set to US(12h) instead of UK(12h)

• Settings / System / Input / Keyboard layouts also defaulted to English (US), and the entries in the list aren’t sorted alphabetically when you change the value.

• Kind of surprised deinterlacing of 576i isn’t working properly even when decoding in software.

• Amused that it actually can deinterlace 1080i/50 h.264 in film mode, and do a better job of it than the Vero 4K does!

• Seeing a whole bunch of “tab” and “sbs” modes in the whitelist that I’ve never seen before.

• Have we eliminated the option to use hardware decoding only for “HD and Up”?

This never existed on RBP.

What is film mode?

Always doing a simple weave. (Which is the correct approach for something shot on film, or originally captured as progressive frames). As opposed to “video mode” which is what you do when the material was originally captured as interlaced fields.

Any ideas about the 5GHz WiFi issue, anyone? The error message actually says “see log” so I’m assuming there must be something relevant in there.

EDIT: wondering if it’s connected to the problem these guys are having:

I guess I could try reinstalling and not mentioning WiFi when I initialise the SD card.

For now, WiFi preseeding doesn’t work. I was aware of this issue before releasing this update, but we had a chicken and egg problem. For @anxdpanic to help with the issue, we need an image which has the issue (so we had to release one first and accept that this would be broken in this release).

But you shouldn’t be getting errors when connecting via My OSMC, and some logs would help here.

The log you posted is massively spammed with errors from the preseed process:

Aug 13 15:04:44 osmc /preseed[441]: DBusException Raised: net.connman.Error.InvalidArguments: Invalid arguments

I don’t know much about the internals of this process, so perhaps @sam_nazarko can comment on what’s happening.