Pi 3b locks up just after starting playback after long idle?

well, i had crashes with both my cheap 8gb card and the sandisk extreme card. the sandisk card was purchased from amazon (not just fulfilled by amazon) so i suspect it is genuine.

and i started this thread after buying a 2nd pi3 and still having issues.

i guess i can try underclocking.

Try an alternate psu, it’s about the only thing you haven’t tried despite it testing ok you never know.

I ordered a different psu from amazon, claiming 3A output into the micro usb connector. I also have an old hp touchpad charger that should be up to the job - I’ll find that and see if it makes a difference.

HP touchpad will probably have a voltage drop

They are pretty stout. If anything the voltage may be slightly too high.

The biggest spike i observed was 600mA. The touchpad charger is rated 5.3vdc 2000mA.

The impression i’m getting is that perhaps due in part to the lack of significant rail capacitance in the pi’s on-board power supply, it’s not so much the current servicing capability of the power supply as it’s total stiffness that matters.

I’m not suggesting that it would be simply a matter of throwing some tantalum or exotic electrolytic caps at the board - I’m aware that capacitance and ESR interact with the switching frequency of the power supply. That messing with the balance can eff things up.

But i do wonder. Because so far, based on what I measured, the only way a raspberry pi 2 or 3 model B needs a 2.5A power supply is if there are four 500mA usb peripherals attached.

Which i guess is not to say that we’re not also dealing with cheap crappy power supplies.

Does make me wonder why they use a micro-B socket instead of a barrel connector for power though.

Finally got some more time to play with this thing.

the 3A power supply i bought from amazon seems to have disappeared into the greater entropy but i’m on my fourth episode of Archer with the HP Touchpad charger powering the Pi3b and it is rock solid.

After a few weeks in service powering a Qi charger pad the CanaKit power supply died. Real crap.

The 3A North Pada supply is solid.

A probably counterfeit pi branded power supply from some ebay vendor is flaky.

But right now, my pi3b is powered by an adjustable dc-dc converter that cost less than 50 cents.

one of these: Convertisseur Buck Réglable 3a Pour Arduino, Module D'alimentation Ultra-petit Dc-dc, 5 Pièces, Lm2596 - Circuits Intégrés - AliExpress

Hung off the same 12v supply that drives the lcd in the ruggedized touchscreen enclosure I’m using and tweaked to about 5.14vdc. You do have to be careful with this because the single-turn potentiometer isn’t really adequate for the job and it took a few minutes of fiddling until i arrived at just over 5v instead of just under 5v or way over 5v.

It’s not under a lot of stress because I’m not trying to power a hard drive or anything like that off the usb. So far just the 3m touchscreen and a usb keyboard - and my usb power meter doesn’t register the keyboard as using *any power.