Pi3 and heatsinks

I can confirm OSMC running on a Pi3 with SanDisk Ultra 8GB SD card (the one out of my bricked Vero 1) works beautifully. Really impressed - thanks to the team.

My question is regarding heatsinks…
I see they are available in the OSMC store

Do you advise just one heatsink on the CPU? Or one on the CPU and one on the chip by the USB ports?
(Please note I have not had or noticed any problems).

David

OSMC has very little data regarding Pi3 and it’s increased heat issue. Previously, we’ve never seen any Pi (A,B,+,2,0) getting hot enough to warrant the use of heatsinks. Your question would probably be better posed to the RasPi Forums or other places where hardware specifics are discussed. Pi user ghalfacree seems to be leading the charge to get answers on this topic as seen here https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/48rudr/got_a_pi_3_help_get_to_the_bottom_of_the_heat_and/

Suggested heatsink placement.

OSMC does not imply that you should or should not overclock any device.
Any overclocking is carried out entirely at your own risk.

Source:- http://www.jackenhack.com/raspberry-pi-3-overclocking/

Thank you guys.
I found this discussion on the Raspberry Pi Forum
One of the forum mods there seems to suggest considering a heatsink on the CPU if using an enclosed case and using intensive code.
This may be a simple question, but would you class running OSMC as ‘intensive’?
Many thanks
David
(Out of interest I have the ‘official’ Raspberry Pi case which one can easily take the roof off)

etronic

did this

I just updated it to match (and slightly exceed) Rpi3 spec.

arm_freq=1300
sdram_freq=500
core_freq=500
over_voltage_sdram=4
over_voltage=4
gpu_mem_1024=320
initial_turbo=60

No issues so far.

Works for hin,

Depends exactly on what you are doing. It’s the arm being busy that raises the temperature, especially with multiple cores and when using NEON code.
Software video decode is “intensive” (espically HEVC) and I would suggest a heatsink is beneficial. Hardware video decode is more efficient (low arm use) and so a heatsink is less critical.

1 Like