Play button wont work on Vero 4K+

For a second time in a month the play command stopped working, in order to play a Movie I have to long press the menu button and select Play using videoplayer option. what can be wrong?

Thanks for your help

This is on a osmc remote? I never had those issues, but I guessing that something could have snuck between the rubbery button, and the “contact membrane” on the circuit board of the remote, making Play button “glitchy”, an other less likely but possible thing could be battery issue, but have a hard time imagine that it would only effect play button.

It’s an RTI remote (IR) using FLIRC, in my opinion it’s a software problem and not a Hardware issue, The remote that comes with the Vero has the same problem so my guess is that is not a remote Issue.

You say “for the second time” this month. Are you talking about a glitch that corrected itself or that you did something and it resolved? If you have the ability to ssh to this device while using the remote I would start by checking what Kodi is receiving by…

kodi-send -a toggledebug
tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep -B 1 'HandleKey'

This will show what key Kodi is receiving, or if it is, and what it is doing with it. This can also help show if a key is sometimes being received but not always since your receiving feedback as soon as you push a button.

If this is intermittent depending on the time of day move the FLIRC a bit to change the direction it is pointing and see if that makes a difference. It is possible for some commands to not work when an IR senser is getting hit just right with some types of light sources (sunlight or worn out florescent bulb in particular). It is also possible that the play button got recorded on the FLIRC suboptimally so it is more sensitive to interference. You could try recording that button again but with the remote farther away than it was before. Unlike most learning remotes the FLIRC’s do not like being close to the original remotes when recording.

It corrected itself the first time, It has nothing to do with IR because it’s the same with te Original (RF) remote. It has worked for a few years without problems, it’s something that has happened twice since June 2022.

I’m at a loss of what could make a single button stop working out of the blue, in isolation, on both the Vero remote and a remote operating through a FLIRC especially with this condition being intermittent. Is there any other changes that precede this such as the Vero remote dongle being plugged in or not or a change to regional keyboard layout? I would check the handlekey events when it messes up as I described above which may provide a clue.

1 Like

No changes before error, the ok button works for all other selection needs it just doesn’t start movie Playing or resume, the only way to start or resume a Movie is long press the menu button and select Play using videoplayer option.

So your talking about the OK/enter/return button and not a play button? If that button is randomly not working for play but at the same time works for other things then that would narrow it down to a Kodi issue. Since the system level mapping is going to be the same for both devices and the keymap for that button/key isn’t going to randomly change or be affected by language layout (as that particular key is universal) then your dealing with something I’ve not run across before.

Again getting feedback from a debug handlekey event would be most enlightening. Is this problem across the board or just in a particular window (home screen widget, library, PVR, in an add-on)? What is settings>media>videos>default select action> set as, or if the issue is only with the PVR settings>PVR & Live TV>guide>default select action? Are you using any userdata level keymaps at all? If so can you post the content of them.

Ok/enter and play button function properly on everything except to star playing the Movie in any screen or instance, as explained before the only way I have found to start or resume playing a movie is long press the menu button and select Play using: videoplayer option.
“Again getting feedback from a debug handlekey event would be most enlightening”, if you explain how to do it I will try.
"Are you using any userdata level keymaps at all? no that I know of, just flirc with IR Universal Remote.

A guide on how to ssh can be found [here] and the terminal commands I posted above. An example of what I’m talking about (using a Windows 10/11 PC) would be…

C:\Users\darwi>ssh osmc@192.168.254.190
osmc@VeroCave:~$ kodi-send -a toggledebug
Sending: {'type': 'action', 'content': 'toggledebug'}
osmc@VeroCave:~$ tail -f ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep -B 1 'HandleKey'
2022-07-19 18:55:21.991 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: Keyboard: scancode: 0x6c, sym: 0x0112, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
2022-07-19 18:55:21.991 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: HandleKey: down (0xf081) pressed, action is Down
--
2022-07-19 18:55:23.732 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: Keyboard: scancode: 0x67, sym: 0x0111, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
2022-07-19 18:55:23.732 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: HandleKey: up (0xf080) pressed, action is Up
--
2022-07-19 18:55:25.772 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: Keyboard: scancode: 0x19, sym: 0x0070, unicode: 0x0070, modifier: 0x0
2022-07-19 18:55:25.772 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: HandleKey: p (0xf050) pressed, action is Play
--
2022-07-19 18:55:51.741 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: Keyboard: scancode: 0x1c, sym: 0x000d, unicode: 0x000d, modifier: 0x0
2022-07-19 18:55:51.742 T:32592   DEBUG <general>: HandleKey: return (0xf00d) pressed, action is Select
^C
osmc@VeroCave:~$ kodi-send -a toggledebug
Sending: {'type': 'action', 'content': 'toggledebug'}
osmc@VeroCave:~$

Once I issued the tail command every button I press it prints out what input Kodi received and what it is doing with it. Once I was done I pressed “ctrl+c” to quit tail and issued the first command again to turn debug logging back off.

Upload some logs and post the url it returns here and it will allow me to see if any extra keymaps are loading.