Playback of 4k60 Quicktime files

Having a bit of bother playing back 4k60 files filmed using an iPhone.

The file is currently sat on a windows share, which is mounted in fstab, it starts to play back initially ok (albeit upside down) then starts to stutter, then stops entirely.

Media info details below (location data removed for obvious reasons):

General
Complete name : /Users/soupladel/Desktop/IMG_0043.MOV
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt )
File size : 9.69 GiB
Duration : 25 min 54 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 53.5 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2017-12-19 10:04:39
Tagged date : UTC 2017-12-19 10:30:34
Writing library : Apple QuickTime
com.apple.quicktime.make : Apple
com.apple.quicktime.model : iPhone X
com.apple.quicktime.software : 11.2.5
com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2017-12-19T10:04:39+0000

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L5.1@High
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate : 53.4 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Rotation : 180°
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 54.545 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 66.667 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.107
Stream size : 9.67 GiB (100%)
Title : Core Media Video
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Source duration : 25 min 54 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 96.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Channel positions : Front: C
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 17.8 MiB (0%)
Source stream size : 17.8 MiB (0%)
Title : Core Media Audio

Other #1
Type : meta
Bit rate mode : VBR

Other #2
Type : meta
Bit rate mode : CBR

I should add that, i have just retired the video and it played ok, from both the windows share and a local usb drive. however still plays upside down, is there anyway to fix the orientation?

Quick googleing and i come up with this:

I appreciate the link, but i was hoping to avoid anything that resulted in having to re-encode a 4k60 video because i filmed something in a different orientation to what Apple deem as the correct one.

In essence the video plays perfectly on my MacBook, unfortunately my windows PC is currently out of commission, otherwise i would test it there. However, i am well aware of the long-standing issues with iPhone videos/photos and orientation issues.

I should also add that the preview image in Kodi/OSMC shows correct, its only when you play the video that it doesn’t

We had a similar topic 1 year ago. But at that time there was a orientation flag set in the file which I can not see to be set in your mediainfo. Without that info I am not sure how Kodi can fix playback.

Well i did see this in the media info, is this not the same thing?

Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Rotation : 180°
Frame rate mode : Variable

I didn’t see that in your posted info. If that is there than there is some hope.

1. Can you upload a short part of the video (or record a short new one with the same mistake)
  2. Can you try with hardware acceleration disabled (might not play smoothly but at least could tell if it is upside down)

Correct. It will let us know if we’re ignoring something we shouldn’t be ignoring; or whether ffmpeg also fails to detect the proper rotation.

Ok, I am not going to upload any part of the original video as it is my children Nativity play, but i can try and recreate the “error” if it is still needed.

However, when i tried to playback the video with hardware acceleration turned off, the video play in the right orientation albeit extremely slowly and choppy as we would naturally predict for a file of this nature without hardware acceleration.

Can you record another video which reproduces the problem using the same device of something else, like filming a magazine or paper?

Sam

I have filmed a 5 second clip that has the error but its doesn’t play well because of the screen adapting at the start. I can film a longer clip if you want? Also can i send it to you privately as it contains meta-data i don’t want shared on an open forum.

Sure, just send me a private message.

done