Playback of packed 3D (3D ISO)

Hi Sam, you said that 3D was working in a build but users had to switch manually to 3D. And it only worked with MKV 3D files rather than iso. Even adding that into the next update would be great.

Thatā€™s correct ā€“ but it prevented 2D playback from working as expected.

If you manually changed it back to 2D did it still cause problems?

Yes ā€“ you can only watch 3D content.

Oh I see so youā€™d have to have two devices. One for 2D and one for 3D!

No ā€“ you donā€™t need two devices.

I guess most of us would be absolutely fine with a solution that only plays MKV and might need a manual switch between 3D and 2D, 3D movies are probably only 1-2% of my library anyway. For that solution it seems the biggest problem left is 2D playback alongside 3D playback. If there is any chance to fix that Iā€™d take it anyday.

Seconded. Iā€™d happily deal with an awkward toggle switch or something similar. Iā€™ve been waiting for a year or so now to buy a Vero, but Iā€™m not investing in a device that wonā€™t play back 3D MVC Mkv. Please make this happen!

Hi Sam,

Iā€™ve spent the last couple of years struggling like hell to get a working Kodi box that could do FP 3D and HD bitstreaming. Vero seemed like a promising potential option about a year ago, but reading through the thread I can see that 3D functionality has been pushed back without an ETA.

I wonā€™t hold you to it, but is there any realistic hope of 3D showing up at some point? There really doesnā€™t seem to be any reliable alternatives out there (except for the Zidoo boxes, which seem to be somewhat inconsistent in smooth playback).

At this point Iā€™d consider running with a Vero for most of my content and using a pi for 3D until Vero gains that support (even if itā€™s a year or so down the road), but if you donā€™t see it happening ever Iā€™m not comfortable spending more money on a box that canā€™t do everything.

@filmgeek47 I have had a Zidoo X8. (I think now discontinued, but essentially similar to their newer offerings).

For the record, it works ā€œwell enoughā€ for 3D. There have been many irritating bugs in their firmware & software, but one of them for me has NOT been ā€œsmooth playbackā€. Itā€™s always played 3D well. The biggest annoyance for me is because I use PlexKodiConnect, which requires some manual config, each time I update the firmware & it installs a new version of their customized Kodi, I have to reconfigure that by hand which is a pain.

But firmware has been stable-ish for a while, I probably wonā€™t update again even if thereā€™s another release since I havenā€™t had any real problems with the way itā€™s working now.

I really donā€™t love the box but itā€™s a perfectly reasonable solution for a 3D player. I too would rather I could just play everything on my Vero but itā€™s a lot better than dealing with actual blu-ray discs.

Iā€™ll revisit it after Kodi v18.

4 Likes

Thanks Sam, appreciate the reply. Itā€™s always nice to see a developer who takes the time to talk to folks in the community!

Thanks as well. I wouldnt mind have to name the file in specific way for correct automatic playback but i would love to be able to add my 3D BR to my collection in the future. Only mkv support is no problem imo.

2 Likes

Iā€™m considering buying the Vero 4K + but I have a question about the status of 3D.
Obviously FP 3D is not working and might never be happening. I get that. But what about MVC to 2160p TAB 3D? Does the Vero 4K + currently do that?
I was already f***ed by Intel with their stupid DP -> HDMI 2.0 converters in the NUCsā€¦ which ruined FP 3D on that platform.

Outputting as SBS is possible with a custom build, I can look in to TAB.

Sam

I guess SBS would work just as wellā€¦ So MVC to 2160p SBS 3D (so theoretically no loss of resolution on the 2x 1080p streams?) is working with a custom build? Any downsides concerning 2D and/or 4K HDR for that build?

I will need to refresh the build for v18.
SBS can work and shouldnā€™t be an issue ā€“ the challenge has always been outputting an MVC (Frame Packed) signal. I tested SBS at 1080p; I will need to test 2160p output.

I will re-add support after v18 is released.

Sam

1 Like

If there is no loss in resolution, is there any other downside to SBS when outputting in 2160p? I guess the existing SBS encodes already have their horizontal resolution halved so Iā€™d need to reencode the MVC versions I have or?

Those are my questions exactly. If the MVC is properly decoded into 2x 1080p and those are output as SBS 2160p without loss of resolution then thatā€™s good enough for me.
But I donā€™t want to have to reencode anything (loss of quality, lots of labour).

I have tried this in the past; while your TV might support it (one of mine did) itā€™s not a standard format and decoding is iffy. I got random playback problems and noticeable digital noise in high motion scenes. Also with SBS you have no option to view in 2D from the same file like with MVC. I ended up just getting the zidoo after trying a lot of different workarounds with custom encoding like this.