Playback of UHD over WiFi unwatchable due to stuttering

Are you using both 2.4 and 5ghz on the same ssid? If so can you try it with a ssid that has only 5ghz? I think some others had issues with Asus routers and that type of setup.

Different SSIDs for them, so I know I’m on the 5GHz band

1. Please provide mediainfo stats for the “Last Jedi” file you’re using.

2. Try this command:
    time dd if="/mnt/mainpc//mnt/WD-WMC1T1033442/Movies/Star.Wars.-.The.Last.Jedi.(2017).2160p.UHD.BluRay.HDR.x265.10bit.TrueHD.Atmos.7.1.mkv" of=/dev/null bs=1M count=5000 status=progress

3. If you start the film and then pause it, can you see the cache bar increasing? Assuming the cache does fill to its maximum, what happens if you unpause it?

4. Please also provide full debug logs, ideally from a point just after running 3.

Interesting, it starts of at 3-4MB/sec for about a minute, after that it’s rock solid at 10MB/sec…

edit
N/M, rerunning it now, it stabilizes at around 3-4MB per sec, which is too low for the bitrate…guess the SMB-protocol might have something to do with it over WiFi…

If you play it through Kodi using its built in SMB (instead of the system mount) does it act any better?

1 Like

Same issue.

Also tried adding it as a regular cifs mount, even worse performance (2MB/sec).

Guess I’ll just have to accept that the 4K+ cannot play UHD through WiFi and downgrade to blurays or figure out a way to draw an ethernet cable.

Here are a few other things you can test:

1. What’s the speed writing a large file the other way, ie to the server?
  2. What performance do you get with cable?
  3. Do you get different figures if you copy multiple small files, rather than one large file?

You didn’t produce any logs, so we have no way of knowing whether there were any issues during the dd file transfer. (Since dd doesn’t use Kodi, they don’t need to be debug logs.)

What’s the server’s hardware and operating system? Can you confirm that there is only one router, an ASUS RT-AC66U, and that the server is directly attached to it by cable? If so, it’s probably also worth trying a different cable and router port.

In addition to ^^^ you could try 2.4ghz, a different wifi channel, and physically moving the Vero to see if it is picking up interference from something.

I bought enterprise WIFI AC 1900 and going in to my custom built pfsense box costing £500 and still playing some very large 4k releases 70mbit video ones. The audio would stutter when bitstreaming.

Luckily I wired my house with cat 6 when i refurbed, so I bought a gigabit switch and had no issues since.

I just don’t think there is any wifi out there with the bandwidth to bitstream hd audio and some of the 70mbit 4k releases. Even though technically it should work, it simply doesn’t.

Here a media info of the 4k release that would fail to bitstream the HD audio. If I disable the bitstream it would play fine.

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 50.9 GiB
Duration : 1 h 35 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 76.0 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-01-10 02:43:25
Writing application : mkvmerge v19.0.0 (‘Brave Captain’) 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.5 + libmatroska v1.4.8

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate : 70.6 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.355
Stream size : 47.3 GiB (93%)
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.7.9 (4.7.9.0)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 1000 cd/m2

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 632 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 8 139 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 3.10 GiB (6%)
Title : TrueHD Atmos 7.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Number of dynamic objects : 15
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE

Other 50-60mbit 4k video would play fine though. Plays fine over cat 6.

I also had this same issue playing from windows over HDMI directly from my PC, until i bought a newer hdmi 2.0 10m cable. Which shows that it is simply lack of bandwidth causing the problem.

There are a number of users watching 4K UHD remuxes over WiFi, so it should be possible.

Can confirm, took a bit of work to be able to playback UHD BD Remuxes w/TrueHD Atmos on the Vero 4K+ wirelessly, part of it was upgrading to a UniFi nanoHD.

5GHz ac radio with 80MHz channels helps getting just enough bandwidth to the Vero for a seamless enough experience.

It worked for 95% of my 4k releases. Just a few that were 70mbit and 8 channel had the issue with stuttering on the audio.

My wifi is transferring at 30-35mbyte a second or over 300mbit.

Tried moving the Vero to about 2m distance with 100% clear path, no difference in speed at all.

How do I produce those logs? grab-logs isn’t a command, and it’s not a package I can install via apt so a bit lost on it.

A lot higher…around 120Mbps.

400+ Mbps.

Not really, slightly lower (1.5MB files results in a total of about 2MB/sec transfer rate)

Win10, only 1 router. NAS is on 1Gbit ethernet.
My phone (Galaxy S10) gets about 300Mbps via WiFi copying the same file from about the same position as the Vero, my laptop (Win10) also copies at 300ish Mbps, so neither the router nor the server is the issue.

When you are at the terminal you just type in
grab-logs -A
and it will come back with a web address after a brief period of time. Post that web address here.

Versus 3-4 MB/s from the server (that’s in megabytes, so around 30 megabits/second). So WiFi read is only 25% of write.

Please reboot the router and repeat the copy test both ways.

Ah, didn’t realize I have to have debugging in kodi enabled for it. Done via command line now at:
https://paste.osmc.tv/azoyobawob

Contains both the timed dd-write to and from server as well as playing a file that exhibits the issue.

Done, no change…perhaps a tad faster reads but still only like 35Mbps so doesn’t actually help with playback =(

1. Please ensure that Bluetooth is disabled.

2. Just a long shot. Install CRDA:

sudo apt-get install crda

then edit /etc/default/crda and set the country code to SE. This has sometimes helped.

Unrelated to the issue at hand but does anybody know what’s up with this thing that is in the log 3,500 times an hour?

2019-11-02 22:25:53.470 T:3621778144 DEBUG: CSettingsManager: requested setting (youtube.api.key.switch.use) was not found.
2019-11-02 22:25:53.470 T:3621778144 DEBUG: CAddonSettings[plugin.video.youtube]: failed to find definition for setting youtube.api.key.switch.use. Creating a setting on-the-fly…

Bluetooth is disabled, installed CRDA, changed to SE and rebooted, sadly no improvement.

The only way I got my UHD rips to work reliably via wireless on my Vero 4k was to use this high gain USB adapter and set up the shares with autofs on the Vero.
With this setup even the highest bitrate files work without bufering.