Playback of UHD over WiFi unwatchable due to stuttering

Doesn’t that adapter use a Realtek chipset that is unsupported in the latest update?
Nevermind. I didn’t realize that the Vero was not impacted the same as the RPi’s.

It will stay working.

So, as far as we can see, the problem seems to be with reading from (but not writing to) SMB over WiFi on your Vero4K. The iperf3 figures show ~120 Mbps over WiFi using the -R flag (ie reverse) , so the issue seems to lie with the V4K’s SMB performance over WiFi.

While the issue clearly exists, I’d like to explore whether FTP has a similar problem. If not, it will potentially provide a workaround to this issue. So if you’re willing to try, you’ll need to enable the FTP server on your Win10 box. I don’t have any expertise of Win10 but a quick search seems to show that it’s relatively straightforward. FTP isn’t available on OSMC, so you’ll need to install it in the usual way (the package name is ftp). See how a few FTP gets and puts perform.

Of course, if FTP also exhibits a similar problem, that will in itself provide useful data. :wink:

Using FTP:
get:
447453831 bytes received in 71.87 secs (5.9373 MB/s)

put:
449218506 bytes sent in 68.73 secs (6.2333 MB/s)

So seems slightly higher, but far from the 15MB/s I’m seeing with IPerf…write somehow is far lower than SMB, I did run a write test with SMB and saw 12+Mbyte/sec immediately after, so it shouldn’t be some weirdness with connection

The saga continues! Those figures are interesting. While there is a small difference between the get and put figures, it’s not that significant. I think we can reasonably say that you’re getting ~50 Mbps even with FTP, so too slow for higher-bitrate media.

For completeness, can you repeat the same test over ethernet?

Which brings me to this:

If that’s an iperf3 figure, it is way too low for an end-to-end gigabit network. You should expect to see 930-940 Mbps. We would need to investigate why this is so bad. If you have another computer, eg laptop (Win ot Linux), you could try running iperf3 to and from the server over cable.

Please also confirm that you’re not using powerline adapters and that you haven’t changed the MTU on either the server or the router. (You wouldn’t believe the number of times people forget to mention that they’re using powerline adapters!)

As to the faster SMB writes, I recall from one of the logs that you ran this command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/nas/mnt/test/_output.raw bs=1M count=1000

It might be better to use a real movie (or part of one) for such a test, rather than a stream of zeroes, though a 1 GB file might get cached straight to RAM before being written to disk. Since writing this direction isn’t critical to the working of your Vero4K, it’s probably not worth getting hung up on this anomaly right now.

Edit: Clarify the 400 Mbps question.

Rerunning it now and getting 950ish Mbps, so must have been some weirdness for hat 400Mbps (or it was SMB, I honestly can’t remember now)

No powerline adapters, MTU Size on NAS is 1500, MTU size on Vero is 1500.

Reran wireless over SMB now:
Reading: 449218506 bytes (449 MB, 428 MiB) copied, 100.021 s, 4.5 MB/s
Writing: 449218506 bytes (449 MB, 428 MiB) copied, 27.2807 s, 16.5 MB/s

I’ve also tried using the 2.4GHz bet, but it’s about a third of the performance (and lags badly enough that I notice it when typing in SSH).

Those figures are spookily consistent and the 4:1 ratio must have a reason. So I finally got around to enabling WiFi on my Vero4K and connected to a nearby 2.4 GHz 802.11n router. It’s behind a thick wall (not drywall!) so the bandwidth figures were a bit underwhelming. On the other end, there’s a (wired) Win7 PC running iperf3. Result: I found that running iper3 to the Win7 PC is consistently twice as fast as the reverse (-R) speed. I’ve run those tests something like 20 times, so there can be no doubt that the figures are consistent.

I did a bit of searching on the forum and found this post from Sam:

The device features a 2x1.

I read this as 2xTx and 1xRx, which certainly meshes with my own 802.11n tests that gave a 2:1 Tx:Rx ratio… It could be that in your case there’s some 802.11ac MIMO goodness happening that is providing a fourfold increase in speed.

As to your more immediate receive-speed problem, you mentioned that you tried 2.4 GHz but it was unbearably slow. You didn’t mention which channel you used but it’s certainly becoming the case that 2.4 GHz is virtually unusable in some high-density urban situations. If you’re in a low-density area, then something else might be causing this problem. If you haven’t done so already, I would strongly suggest you try a different 5 GHz channel, ideally 36, 40, 44 or 48, and see if anything improves.

To provide consistency across tests, I’d suggest that you use the same 449 MB file each time.

Just getting back to this.
How do I change channel? From what I tell from some googling it’s some magic number I’m setting in some config?

I’m becoming more and more suspicuous about something being misconfigured somewhere tbh, I just can’t see how raw read speed are more than 5 times faster than SMB/FTP…

Been trying to get NFS working on my NAS to test it out, but don’t have time to install *nix on it and figure out how that works, but it might be the next step.

Seems pretty weird to have more writes than reads on a device made primarily for reading video streams. I’m assuming they can’t be switched around?

That would be done on whatever router or access point your using, not the Vero.

Agree on the first point. No idea on the second point, which is beyond my pay grade.

Did you try Hanewin NFS Server?

Yeah, that’s the one I used, but the “documentation” is…lacking…I couldn’t figure out how to get shares setup

I can try and help with this as I just set up Hanewin nfs server for myself.
I set it up on a Windows 10 PC but I don’t imagine its much different on other OS’s.
Firstly I had to allow two application files through my firewall, on Windows these are located in program files\nfsd\ and are called nfsctl and nfsd.

For this example I’m going to share a folder on my C: drive named movies,
run the Hanewin program as administrator
Go to the edit tab and choose exports
Choose the exports tab in the new window that’s opened and select edit exports file
You’ll see some example shares in the window, ignore these for now and scroll to the bottom of the window,
on a new line at the bottom enter C:\movies -public -name:movies
Choose save and the C:\movies folder should now be shared

There are other commands I’m still experimenting with, for example I’m limiting the range of IP addresses that can access my shares, but the above is all that’s needed to set up a share.

@lvikstrom and @Buckeye, these are the settings I use for Hanewin:

Hanewin%20settings%20NFS Hanewin%20settings%20server

The Windows firewall can sometimes require a little fine-tuning too, especially if you’re using active VPN software on the server.

As a sample export, in my exports file. I have:

E:\Video -name:VideoE -public -alldirs

That means “share the folder E:\Video as ‘VideoE’, including all of its subfolders, and give anything connecting to the share write-access” (the last part means you can delete files and folders on the server from within Kodi).

Thanks @angry.sardine I had all of those settings bar the asynch write for nfs-2 one set already.
I’ve checked that now but can’t really see any difference so far

Been busy for a while (well, vacationing), but just got back to this issue.

Managed to figure out Hanewin NFS, but no improvement.

I rebooted the Vero, and my raw speeds on IPERF3 has now also dropped to around 40Mbit/sec. Both my Ipad and my S10 see 150-200Mbps over the same SSID when placed in the same location as the Vero, so there is something weird going on with only the Vero.
I’m even suffering from caching of regular 1080p files now, something which did not occur prior to the reboot.

@sam_nazarko Is there some way to figure out if there is some driver issue or additional processes that messes up the VERO in particular? It sounds like the wireless chip in it should be able to achieve far better results than what I’m seeing…

Is your WiFi 2.4G and 5G?
If so – make sure the 2.4G and 5G networks have separate SSIDs

Router has both setup yes, but they’re on separate SSIDs, only the 5G on is connected on the Vero (2.4G gave me even less speed when I tried it)

Turns out this was simply an issue of the device reconnecting to the 2.4GHz automatically, disconnected and forgot about it now and back to 140Mbps in iperf3 (read, write for some reason is at 180Mbps).

SMB perf is still only at about 30Mbps though =(

Have you tried disabling SMB encryption on the server side?