Playing MPEG 2 content plays at the wrong frame rate

I originally noticed this on a bd I ripped myself but figured it wasn’t that big of a deal. Recently I ripped a few DVDs and have the same issue. Both DVDs are MPEG2 480i and the BD is 1080i. All three files play at 60 FPS instead of 29.97 fps. All 3 play correctly in plex so it’s not the end of the world and I don’t know how many files in the end it will effect but figured I’d ask here if there was a fix or a setting that I may have incorrect. Frame rate switch is set to start. Hardware acceleration enabled. Mpeg2 acceleration also enabled as the BD won’t even play without it.

Thanks!

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information from you. The best way to get this information is for you to upload logs that demonstrate your problem. You can learn more about how to submit a useful support request here.

Depending on the used skin you have to set the settings-level to standard or higher, in summary:

• enable debug logging at settings->system->logging

• reboot the OSMC device twice(!)

• reproduce the issue

• upload the log set (all configs and logs!) either using the Log Uploader method within the My OSMC menu in the GUI or the ssh method invoking command grab-logs -A

• publish the provided URL from the log set upload, here

Thanks for your understanding. We hope that we can help you get up and running again shortly.

OSMC skin screenshot:

Thanks, logs below. Oddly both start at the correct frame rate then switch shortly after. File 3 seems to be working correctly as that didn’t switch.

https://paste.osmc.tv/atamidufap

Running your UI at 4k is likely the issue. Please note the following, modify your setup, and retest please…

We recommend people with 4K TV’s set their user interface (UI) to 1080p. Kodi’s UI is not optimized for 4K yet and this can put unnecessary demands on your device and can lead to a suboptimal picture quality, as well as potentially cause other issues.

The settings we recommend are as follows…

Settings>System>Display>Resolution> 1920x1080p
Settings>System>Display>Whitelist> (empty) *
Settings>Player>Videos>Adjust display refresh rate> On start/stop

Some televisions may also need, or benefit from, the following being set…

System>Display>Force 4:2:2 colour subsampling> (enable)

With the above settings your UI will be output in Full HD and your 4K content will be output in 4K. *Information regarding the whitelist can be found here. If you have any doubt, feel free to upload some logs so we can verify that your settings are indeed correct.

That definitely makes the content playback correctly. Oddly the frame rate is still showing as 59.97 but I guess that doesn’t really matter. One movie starts at 29.97 then it switches to 60fps there’s a brief blackout while it switches fps.

Now the display UI (clock/menu etc) is cut off unless playing 4K content. What’s the best way to handle that?

Edit: Just redid calibration and tested HD, 4K and SD, seems to be ok. For the corners do I want any blue showing?

Thanks

Regarding the frame rate you should post new debug logs displaying this with the updated settings. As for the other thing that is called overscan and that is something that you disable in your TV’s settings. Different brands use different names for this so often it is easiest just googling “how to disable overscan [TV manufacturer]”. I would highly discourage you from using Kodi’s Calibration feature to fix the UI.

I meant the kodi UI was in the wrong place but I made sure picture was set to original and overscan off. Seems fine now I think it’s because I originally calibrated the UI with a 4K menu. Rebooting then then I’ll reproduce the FPS switch.

https://paste.osmc.tv/azapovezon

All the files play fine even though they’re 29.97 fps instead of 59.97 fps but the first one does start at 29 then switch to 60. Still plays correctly though from the little bit I watched.

Your still adjusting your image

GUI Resolution: 1920x1080 @ 59.94p
        <resolution>
            <description>1920x1080 @ 59.94 - Full Screen</description>
            <subtitles>1042</subtitles>
            <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
            <overscan>
                <left>28</left>
                <top>12</top>
                <right>1889</right>
                <bottom>1065</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>

As for the refresh rate I have to say i’m stumped on why that isn’t working. I see that it knows the TV has the capability and it is searching, but i’m at a loss on why it isn’t changing. Perhaps @grahamh has some insight. The only thing I can think to try is to setup a whitelist and see if that gets it to switch.

Thanks, I thought I completely disabled it in Kodi, I just went back in and did it again. I’ll look into a whitelist but really it’s not super important. As of now it’s only 3 movies and there’s really no noticeable downside as far as I can tell.

We don’t pass through interlaced video but always deinterlace it. So it’s better to play 25i and 29.9i at 50p and 59.9p respectively. With no whitelist, kodi should not attempt to play at 29.9p. Not sure atm why you get that for a couple of seconds. If you do use a whitelist, make sure you don’t enable 29.9p modes for the best results.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m not going to bother with the whitelist unless I end up having issues with more content. Other than the one frame rate switch after about 30 seconds the other files play fine. I doubt I’ll have many more issues with it since it seems like very few BDs are 1080i and I don’t plan on ripping so many DVDs. But if it ends up not working I’ll report back.

So I came across another BD at 1080i 29.97 fps (Short Circuit) and that also plays at 59.94 FPS so it must just be something with interlaced video. Quality is perfect and sound doesn’t skip or anything. Just figured I’d report back. I’m guessing it’s something with kodi that plays interlaced videos at double the frame rate since those are the only videos I’ve noticed playing at different frame rates compared to the source. I assume 90+% of the BDs on the market aren’t interlaced at this point anyway so it’s no big deal. Thanks again for helping when I had the bug.