Poor sound quality on latest build

I recently installed the latest build of osmc and everything is working great except found that the sound quality is not what it used to be on the older build that I had from 2016…

I have Samsung TV connected to Raspberry pi3 and which is connected to the audio out to a Alpine car amplifier …

I tried changing the audio settings by connecting the Alpine amplifier directly to TV out but still the audio is not the same what it used to be in the older build.

The clarity is gone and i even hear some crackling of the sound… i have already tried reinstalling it twice and still the same.
There seems to be some problem with the audio codecs in latest build IMO…

Is there a way to download the 2016 build …

Yes, you can download the 2016 version. That’s not likely to resolve the issue for you as you seem to be using a different environment

Thanks…
Can you provide the download link also…

Can anyone provide the 2016 download links as I am not able to find it on Google…

For analog out I’d try adding these lines to config.txt
audio_pwm_mode=2
audio_sdm_mod_order=2
Make sure ‘Adjust PLL’ is not enabled since that will cause crackling with those settings.
regards
/L

Thanks dear… will try these and update

I tried these steps and still it’s the same. What I noticed is that when I have plugged in the audio cable to rpi3 even when the mode is selected to Alsa mixer the sound is still coming out from TV from HDMI…

I have to change it to analogue audio in order to get the sound from rpi3…

Isn’t it supposed to give Audio directly from rpi3 when the settings are on Alsa mixer.

Also didn’t find those PLL settings anywhere.

Uploading…

PLL is located Settings > System Settings > Audio (Just above GUI Sounds).
Ensure you have the settings set to “Expert” in order to see all the options.

Is there a way to download the 2015 or 2016 build…

Any place to get those images pleasee…

Why do you want three year old software?

This doesn’t sound plausible… The very first link I see in a google search is Download - OSMC

This is unlikely to solve your issue though. If what you claim to be experiencing was due to the software and widespread, there would be complaints all over the this forum about it.

To be fair, that page only goes back to 2017-01

See Index of /osmc/osmc/download/installers/diskimages.

1 Like

Thanks the diskimages link goes back only till 2017…

The reason for trying the 2015 or 2016 build is that the sound was coning amazing on that build…
I first installed it two years ago when I bought the rpi3 and then played it for few months and like I mentioned before I have a car amplifier connected directly to rpi3 using alsamixer mode in kodi the sound that used to come was unbelievable. Every song and dialogues is movie was so crisp clear and the bass was literally shaking my home. It was something that I never imagined that a basic car amplifier can give sound like this…

Now I didn’t used rpi3 for two years and just few days back I downloaded the latest image of osmc on rpi3 and that is when noticed that the sound clarity is just gone and not only that there is crackling also …

I installed twice and still nothing… Even when I hear it on headphones it’s still not clear … the same headphones when connected to my phone give better sound . So even if we eliminate the car amplifier the problem is same as there seems to be some problem with osmc or could be my rpi3… But I have never messed up with the hardware of rpi3 it was just laying there for the last two years…

There are other people I have found who have similar crackling sound coming from osmc.

I will try the last build from the link given here but I guess it is only till from 2017. Let me check if that fixes the sound problem…

Well I have just tested on my Pi3 with the latest OSMC version installed and don’t have any crackling or poor sound (analog to Bose speaker). Did you have a clean install without any changes?

Can you point us to a report of crackling sound on a Pi3 with analogue out? Because when I put “crackling” in the search field I only find topics on Vero or HDMI or USB but not Pi with analogue.

I am still working on installing the 2017 build… in the meanwhile please check this link

just a google search… http://bit.do/audiorpi3

lot of people are having similar problems with the audio…

will be back with the update after installing the build soon… hope that solves the problem…

But that has nothing to do with OSMC specifically and if you actually add OSMC to your search you only see old entries from 2015/2016 and no current reports from OSMC users.

1 Like

I reinstalled the 2017 01 09 build and it gave lot of noise from the amplifier like a loud hissing sound and then I tried it on my headphones and it was the same.

What I found weird was that even when I selected the last settings in the audio which is the alsamixer the audio was still coming out from the TV from HDMI and not from the amplifier.

Anyways I tried changing the power supply and the power cables and still the same.
Then I turned off the keep audio alive settings and the hissing went off but the audio was still crackling when it was playing movies and song.

So then I decided to try another build of Kodi that is from librelec and surprisingly with the fresh install of it the audio was just fine there was no hissing and even the audio clarity was exactly the same that I was looking for.

I don’t know if there is some compatibility issue with the osmc and rpi3 that I have but there is some problem as how come with just a fresh install of librelec the audio was completely fine.

I have been formatting sdcard and installing the fresh images of both OS however the osmc had that Audio problems…

Anyways it’s working now and I am going to keep the librelec for a while and might try the newer builds of osmc on another sdcard…