Possible to install a VNC server?

Topic says it all

Yes this is possible

We may add one in our Applications Store later

Sam

can we, ā€œThe Peopleā€ please get the apt-get lines to get and install the vnc server? comes in handy sometimes

also where is ā€œThe App Storeā€ for osmc? or was that a joke??

A VNCServer like the one in apt wonā€™t work.

VNC on the Pi would have to be dispmanx based (we donā€™t run an X11 server), so Iā€™d have to build one that hooks in to dispmanx (VideoCore display manager) instead. Iā€™ll put in on the list of desired applications.

The application store is not a joke, itā€™s a real planned thing. Just working on the front-end to get them easily installable now

S

Very cool no biggie i just know raspbmc had one and it came in handy when in a diff room from the HDTV thanks
Really not a priority whatsoever
But thanks alll the same
RiNG

Any update on this ?
The main reason why i had Raspbmc on my pi1 was this featureā€¦Now on the pi2 i cant figure out a way to have vnc there. :confused:

There havenā€™t been any final yet ā€¦ I donā€™t think this is one of the most important extra features for an media player if you ask meā€¦

well it depends who is using the pi. Setting up a vnc server on the pi behind my parentā€™s TV allows me to fix stuff or install addons remotely, so i dont have to go to their house and do it manually. For situations like this a remote vnc server is a really nice addition.

1 Like

True, you wonā€™t hear me saying itā€™s useless ā€¦ but before the final has arrived and maybe some bug fixes ā€¦ if it was me ā€¦ I wouldnā€™t spend my time on it :wink:

It is stated that the vnc server can be downloaded from the app store (See this page), but I canā€™t see it on my PI 2.
When will the vnc server be available for osmc on a PI 2?

You can do it manually if you want. Instructions here:

I have done some major changes to the dispmanx_vnc code. I have included and somewhat changed the performance improvements that Na1w committed some weeks ago. It seems now to be completely stable, surviving changes in resolution and refresh rates (and if given the -f option, it will most likely not exhaust dispmanx while doing so). It has some new features like using (almost) no CPU when no-one is connected, it is possible to specify port, display number, an optional password, a mode for limiting bandwidth and a few other things. I donā€™t really know how well received it will be, but it now requires c++11, so at least g+Ā±4.7. As the original author has previously rejected to pull changes, so I have pushed most to the Na1w branch, but the last changes are still pending. If you would like to try it out you can get it here: GitHub - patrikolausson/dispmanx_vnc: VNC Server for Raspberry PI using dispmanx . Please note that I have added -mtune=native to the makeit file, in case it would disturb cross compilation.

1 Like

Can you please post the libraries we need to install to compile this ? i have g+Ā±4.7 installed but still cant compile it.

*** Error in `g++': double free or corruption (top): 0x008ca1d8 ***
./makeit: line 1: 12243 Aborted                 g++ -std=c++11 -O3 -Wall main.cp                                                            p -o dispman_vncserver -mtune=native -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HO                                                            ST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -Wno-psabi -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vco                                                            s/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -L/opt/vc/lib/ -lGLESv2 -                                                            lEGL -lopenmaxil -lbcm_host -lvcos -lvchiq_arm -lpthread -lrt -lvncserver

It seems like g++ is crashing, it is not complaining about missing libraries as far as I can see. Which version of 4.7 do you have? check with ā€œg++ --versionā€. Can you try upgrading? I have built the code on 4.7.2-5+rpi1. (and 4.8.2 as well as 4.9.2).

Itā€™s a long shot, but you could try to remove -Wall and -mtune=native from the makeit file.

I have seen some bug reports on 4.7 on e.g. lambdas and I have used one of those. I could try to remove it as I was planning to anyway if nothing else works.

Can you submit this as a PR to github.com/samnazarko/dispmanx-vnc?

my g++ --version is: g++ (Raspbian 4.7.3-11+rpi1) 4.7.3

Removing those 2 things worked :smile:
Nice !!!

Good to hear. Would you mind checking which parameter that was the problem?

with only -Wall enabled i got:

main.cpp: In member function 'void UFile::WriteEvent(__u16, __u16, __s32)':
main.cpp:147:39: warning: missing braces around initializer for 'timeval' [-Wmissing-braces]

with only -mtune=native enabled:

*** Error in `g++': double free or corruption (top): 0x0019b188 ***
./makeit: line 1:  1481 Aborted                 g++ -std=c++11 -O3 main.cpp -o dispman_vncserver -mtune=native -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -Wno-psabi -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -L/opt/vc/lib/ -lGLESv2 -lEGL -lopenmaxil -lbcm_host -lvcos -lvchiq_arm -lpthread -lrt -lvncserver

so i guess it needs both out

@patrikolausson

help here?

osmc@osmc:~/dispmanx_vnc-master$ sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7 g+Ā±4.7 libvncserver-dev libconfig+Ā±dev
Lendo listas de pacotesā€¦ Pronto
Construindo Ć”rvore de dependĆŖncias
Lendo informaĆ§Ć£o de estadoā€¦ Pronto
Note, selecting ā€˜gcc-4.7-baseā€™ for regex ā€˜gcc-4.7ā€™
Package g+Ā±4.7 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ā€˜g+Ā±4.7ā€™ has no installation candidate

osmc@osmc:~/dispmanx_vnc-master$ sudo make
g++ -Wall -std=c++11 -O3 -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCH IQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/in clude/interface/vmcs_host/linux -c main.cpp -o main.o
main.cpp:18:25: fatal error: libconfig.h++: Arquivo ou diretĆ³rio nĆ£o encontrado
#include <libconfig.h++>
^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:26: recipe for target ā€˜main.oā€™ failed
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

UPDATE: I removed the -4.7 and it went ok. I didnā€™t run the ā€œsudo update-alternativesā€.
started vnc, runned ok but like the original fork, I could not use mouse/keyboard.

Try the following before starting dispmanx_vncserver:
sudo modprobe evdev