Potential graphical glitches and freezes fix

SMB affects everyone, not just the 1/2% of vero2 owners. … I fully understand!.. Its just so strange that it mostly worked, then grew excessively glitchy. I do so hope for a solution, as the ability to launch Android native apps would be greatly appreciated.

My glitches out on two different make of TV. LG (pretty new), and Vizio (pretty old).

Hi Chris

I have built an SD card image and would like to know if you still experience the problem with this. OSMC will then rn off the SD card instead of the NAND.

I’ve PM’d you a link. It should fit on a 4GB card without issue.

When you boot, you will get a sad face. We need to remount / as RW (I didn’t fancy spending ages building a new kernel with this as a default), so you just SSH in and run

sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/mmcblk0p2 /

Then OSMC should appear. Do what you do to replicate the issue and let me know if it persists.

Cheers

Sam

Turns out the problem with mounting read only is a typo in /etc/fstab. So after doing the above remount, edit fstab:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

Change the word notime to noatime

Then save with CTRL-X then Y. After rebooting it should boot correctly without any workaround.

G’day Sam,

I installed the image as per your directions. Hopefully I did it correctly. I was able to force the glitch again using previous method of scraping a SMB share. It actually happened quicker than usual taking only a few minutes. The log was captured immediately after reboot.
http://paste.osmc.io/tekawesomu
Reading the logs I an see a number of CEC problems. I have previously followed DBMandrake’s direction to disable CEC however the glitch was still present afterwards.
I will try again in a half hour and have the device resting on the kodi home screen to see if the glitch occurs without any external intervention…

Edit: The glitch appeared after 15 minutes at idle without any intervention from power on.

My guess is it’s just faulty.

I’ll send you information about RMA.

I am shipping @Landspeeder a new one today. I cannot find the issue but conversely cannot prove his unit is not faulty. I will have a look at @Guy’s unit this afternoon.

Sam

1 Like

I watched the Big Buck Bunny video. It’s actually a pretty cute video, and the Open Source nature of it probably makes it ideal for testing. I understand you are playing it on a loop, but I’m wondering if its the codec used or length of film that is making it hard to replicate. (Yes, that sounds soft to me as well). I’m just nervous that you’ve been having trouble replicating something that happens to me within 20 minutes.

Let me know how things go, I’m excited for progress!

@Guy

Indeed. It being open source means we can legally recommend it. It also adheres to standards so can rule out encoding issues.

I doubt it. But did you only get the issue playing back content? What were you playing? PM me if necessary…

The RMA replacement arrived last night. Initial setup, Update, backup kodi add-on, backup restore, and 1 DVD.iso via SMB watched … All fine (a little stutter on the movie, but NAS was running a parity check) Thanks @sam_nazarko

2 Likes

Excellent.

Update to May and enjoy :slight_smile:

One down.
Two (@guy, @Chris_Gawne) to go.

Well, I’m very hopeful based on @Landspeeder’s update. I’m still concerned that Sam isn’t finding anything wrong with mine. Could it be the US power adapter, or the different voltage in general? (That area of expertise is totally out of my wheelhouse).

No glitching to report … Looks like the 0.5% failure rate was in our hands

I’m glad it’s nothing widespread. The number of issues reported on Vero 2 seems to actually be quite low, which is good!

Any update on my unit? :confused:

Hi @Guy,

I have found a fault with your unit which explains the frequent crashing. A replacement will ship out later today and I will email you with a tracking number when this has been completed.

I am still working on replicating the issue on @Chris_Gawne’s device. I haven’t had any luck so far.

Thanks for your patience. I have applied a credit to your accounts on the OSMC Store for any future purchases that you make.

Sam

1 Like

Salut Sam,

J’ai toujours le même problème. Je n’ai pas encore pu utlisé mon unité. Dois-je vous le retourner ?

Cordialement, et encore une fois, désolé pour ma traduction google :S
Gzu27

Hi Sam,

I still have the same problem. I have not been able utlise my unit. Should I return it to you?

Best regards, and again, sorry for my google translation: S
Gzu27

Hi

This is quite an old post, and things have been relatively quiet since.

Can you send me an email to sam at osmc dot tv so I can look in to this?

Thanks

Sam