Power supply for RP3

hello
I’m brand new here.
I did a search, but couldn’t find an answer.

I just need to know if 5.25v 2amp power supply is strong enough for a pi3. I found a in line on off switch that connects to a usb power supply. If this works, I can actually shut off the pi. I think it will work on my pi2, but I haven’t bought the pi 3 yet.

Just need some input before I buy.

I love my OSMC pi2.

Thank you.

Chris

Well I would say 2amp is OK but it depends what you connect to the Pi3. If you want to connect anything to the USB port than go for at least 3amp.
But more important it is if the power supply is desgined to put out a constant 5V. All the phone chargers out there are not designed for that and therefore not suitable for powering the Pi.

Don’t do that! Powering off the Pi (even if you cleanly shutting it down), doesn’t have any value.

I have the official power supply for the rpi3. You will have no problems with power then.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn’t know shutting down the pi2 was not a good idea.

For the first time since I bought it last year I noticed the constant red light in front was accompanied by a green one. I hadn’t used it for awhile, so I switched the tv to that input and my screen was dark [ panic mode set in] I did a hard reboot and got OSMC back up. Whew. I don’t know what happened as there was no apparent power failures.
I thought that by shutting it down when not in use for long periods might save it from some funky glitch.
The idea of just pulling the power supply plug is a little dicey.

So, will the official power supply for pi3 handle a EHD? or will that need it’s own PS?

That’s completely dependent on what ExtHDD you are talking about. It would always be safe to use a HDD with it’s own power supply.

I’m using an 2tb wd my passport and a wireless and Bluetooth adapter and have no issues using official power supply. Although it’s still best to use a powered hub with a ehd incase of power cuts and reboots etc.

I’m using an Aukey power supply that delivers 2.4/port and anexternal Toshiba hdd connected to the PI and I have no problem.
Actually I have my PI3 and PI2 conncted to the same power supply + some times charing my phone, tablets to that one as offers 5 ports…
AUKEY USB Ladegerät 50W 5 USB Anschlüsse mit AiPower Technologie für Smartphones & Tablets https://www.amazon.de/dp/B013OW3CSW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NukGxb91ABS4K
I’m not any aukey sales man, I’m just a satisfied customer :slight_smile:
P. S. to power an external hdd you need to set a switch in osmc to deliver more power trough the pi’s usb ports.

Interesting stuff.

Anyone else think it’s a bad idea to power off a pi?

Curious as to why.

Why would you? It costs less than $5 to run the thing for an entire year. Additionally, if you are intending to just throw the switch and cut power to the pi without shutting the device down programmatically, you’ll be dealing with corrupt file systems and failed boots sooner than later. Did you consider that without some physical switch etc, maybe the device’s designers intended it as an always on device?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=1978507#pid1978507

I think you need to count in big numbers. Suppose there are 100.000 RPi users who run OSMC. Each system consume lets say 5 W in standby. Every Watt per second consumed means on a yearly bases 8 kW of power used. Then all those systems consume 4 miljoen kW of power. Only to run in a kind of standby mode. I think we should be more carefull with the resources on our earth. Think also on CO2 pollution. Is it all that worth. Suppose you should carry constanly carry lets say 5 kg of unnecessary weigth with you. Who would do that? I don’t think that would do many people.

The “CO2 pollution” attributible to all raspberry pi’s idling when not in use is literally nothing compared to the pollution created by industrial China who does very little to even attempt to improve their contribution to global pollution. Even if all pi’s ever produced were unplugged when not in use, the difference globally would be negligible.

But feel free to run your pi how you like. I hope you consistently shut it down gracefully so as not to bork your operating system on a weekly basis.

… and who make buying a 40$ PC possible… But anyways: If you want to switch off your pi, do so, but shut it down before. There are GPIO switches that can do that. I do it with a “kitchen radio” I built, because a touch screen is connected. Hit the switch, wait, kill power…
About the PSU, make sure, you have good quality cables. I think the official PSU comes with an attached power cord. If you have a high resistance cable, you will end up with a low voltage that can get you into all sorts of troubles (U = R*I).