Problem in osmc using cifs shares since today

Hi!
since these last days we gotta problem using our video samba shares.
(Server is Arch Linux 4.5.0-2 and works with other kodi installtions (on Arch) fine.

excerpt form sources.xml

excerpt from passwords:

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://PC6/spielfilme</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://user:passw!@PC6/spielfilme/</to>
    </path>
 </passwords>

at Commandline
mount -t cifs //pc6/filme /mnt -o username=user,password=passw!

woks.

In OSMC it does not work at all since a few days all passwords are rejected!

Since a few days, perhaps since server was updated to samba v4.5 osmc on rasp Pi v2 does not work anymore.
:sweat:

What is there going on?

Thanks in Advanced …
Your Jojo

We need complete logs.

To get a better understanding of the problem you are experiencing we need more information, including logs from you. Our wiki contains detailed steps for providing the relevant info we need to help you.

Try the IP address instead of the hostname.

Either the IP Adress did not work.

I found the solution by analyzing the server logs.
the ~osmc/.smb/smb.conf has bad default entries.

[global]
        preferred master = no
        local master = no
        domain master = no
#       client lanman auth = yes
#       lanman auth = yes
        sec=ntlmv2
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
        lock directory = /home/osmc/.smb/
#       client use spnego = no
        client ntlmv2 auth = yes
        name resolve order = host bcast

The problem is the simple and weak outdated password encryption which is not lnger supported by modern samba installations (i.e. > V4.5.).

The .smb/smb.conf should be pathced at next update to avoid more porblems of not linux aware users in future.

Regards
J. Sauer

BTW: Log files posting will not be bring an solution … worng password or password rejected are the informations I submittted in the first post.

And your changes can break systems <4.5, especially if they have not been updated post Badlock vulnerability disclosure.

We have to prefer older encryption, as many NAS solutions and systems out there are using older versions of Samba.

and the problem arises again, if nas providers get updated.
So perhaps an FAQ Entry may useful or a Question on package install during dpkg-reconfigure smbclient or sth. else … :slight_smile:

One solved problem - so I think - must not make other users bring up trouble :slight_smile:

There’s no easy solution though – this will keep happening. The real solution is to use a better protocol, such as NFS :wink:

I am glad you were able to research and solve your own problem. It should benefit other users.

Sam

Yeah, NFS is much easier. But not without pitfalls (v3 vs v4 nfs servers etc).

But after having a fine sorted DB of hundred thousend files moving it over to nfs seems not to be happy to me :slight_smile:

On the other hand a “Trouble Shooting FAQ” may point this out… and the community is prepared for the future upgrades.
The upgrades will come, this is certain … not today but in future the next ubuntu release will have samba 4.5 in autum this year … next debian also. Even the rollling releases are faster :slight_smile:.

But the manufacurer of the NAS appliance may also upgrade … nearer or fare in future … some of the perhaps never (lazy folk)

BTW: OSMC is a great work !

You are aware of the path substitution function of Kodi?

Sure, but:

• As an Arch user, you guys are the Linux hipsters who test stuff for everyone else.
  • Kodi’s SMB implementation is stuck on 3.x, likely indefinitely, because the new build system uses WAF and does not work with their new CMake buildsystem.

You should use a kernel based (/etc/fstab) mount if you absolutely must use CIFS.

Yes, someone can edit the Wiki and add that to ‘General’ section perhaps