Problems with DVD playback, additional information inside

So, I can’t watch DVDs on my Vero like I could on RaspBMC and this starts getting annoying so I’ve decided to do some research.

I’ve tried both Confluence and OSMC skins with the same results.
With an unencrypted DVD, it worked, sort of. OSMC asked me to browse the disk instead of just starting the DVD player. There was also no menu item called “Play disk” or something like that, nothing. I could play the disk by manually opening video files and navigating to the VOB file there. Not nice, but it worked.
With a commercial DVD, I tried the same but the disk came up empty, that is OSMC only mounts the disk as an empty folder.

To sum it up:

1. DVD player non-existent, I have to browse the file structure manually
  2. No support for encoded disks

Frankly, I’d like to see both of them fixed. As for 2, I could live with installing libdvdcss via the OSMC settings addon or as for me manually via SSH. As long as it works.

Here comes the log file from right after the procedure: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Please let me know if I can provide any help. I’d really just like to watch all my media on my Vero. I’m a nerd, by the way so get technical if needed. I can be a beta tester too if needed.

Same here, cannot play any DVD-ISO’s. Screen just stays black or nothing happens.

There seem to be some read IO errors on the disk shown in the log:

Sep 16 20:18:20 osmc kernel: usb-storage 2-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Sep 16 20:18:20 osmc kernel: scsi host1: usb-storage 2-1:1.0
Sep 16 20:18:21 osmc kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM            slimtype  eTDU108   1     SL47 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
Sep 16 20:18:21 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda pop-up
Sep 16 20:18:21 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
Sep 16 20:18:21 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0 
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 fc ff fe 00 00 02 00
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: blk_update_request: critical target error, dev sr0, sector 66322424
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0 
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 fc ff fe 00 00 02 00
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: blk_update_request: critical target error, dev sr0, sector 66322424
Sep 16 20:18:26 osmc kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block 8290303, async page read

In my experience disk IO errors on a CD/DVD can cause the disk to “mount” (in that you can see it in the file system) but can prevent Kodi from detecting it as a playable DVD disk, thus the Play Disc menu option never appears.

There are no log entries in the Kodi log at the same time that indicate Kodi has detected the insertion of a playable DVD, which you would normally expect to see when a disc is inserted.

Have you tried a different DVD drive and/or DVD’s ?

libdvdcss support has been part of OSMC for a long time - no need to install anything to play encrypted DVD’s. (Encrypted Blu-rays on the other hand are not supported by Kodi at all)

If an encrypted DVD is not playing then it is for some other reason.

“Me too” without any logs doesn’t really help unfortunately.

You’re not really talking about the same problem as the OP either - he is trying to play DVD discs on an external drive, you are trying to play a DVD ISO file.

Please enable debugging in Kodi then reboot, try to play the ISO file then upload your logs using the MyOSMC log uploader.

1. I don’t have a different unencrypted DVD. The drive itself is allright, it’s the same device I used on RaspBMC to play DVDs and it worked. It’s also the same drive I’ve used afterwards on my laptop and it worked. Still, I’d like to call the DVD player with a broken-ish disc too as the disc is good enough, I could watch through the whole movie after browsing the files manually.
  2. What is the reason for the commercial DVD not working and how can I fix it? What can I do to get to the bottom of this? Is the attached log not complete?
  3. How do you quote on this forum?

So can you connect it back to Raspbmc or your Laptop and verify that the same disks plays properly ? Saying that it used to work doesn’t prove much as drives wear out over time and become less able to read disks as the laser wears out.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect everything to play perfectly if the disk is “broken-ish” - why should you ?

The system journal clearly shows read errors trying to read the disk, and the Kodi log has no debug lines saying that it has detected a playable DVD disc - lines that should be in the log. To me this means the most likely cause of trouble (based on my own experience of similar symptoms with an old drive having difficulty reading some disks) are that the read errors are probably the cause of the problem.

That’s why I asked if you have tried a different drive. If you’re not able to try a different drive then we can’t rule out a hardware issue.

To quote the whole message make sure you press reply next to the post then click the speech bubble in the editor.

Or, just hit reply then select a section of text you want to quote from any message then press the quote reply button that pops up.

[quote=“DBMandrake, post:6, topic:7942”]
The system journal clearly shows read errors trying to read the disk, and the Kodi log has no debug lines saying that it has detected a playable DVD disc - lines that should be in the log. To me this means the most likely cause of trouble (based on my own experience of similar symptoms with an old drive having difficulty reading some disks) are that the read errors are probably the cause of the problem.

That’s why I asked if you have tried a different drive. If you’re not able to try a different drive then we can’t rule out a hardware issue.
[/quote]This very disk and the commercial disk I tried afterwards play perfectly fine when attaching the same drive to the laptop. I did that right after I tried it on the Vero. I don’t have another drive, but if the drive was broken, it wouldn’t play the movie on my laptop. Is there a log file of communication between the driver and the drive? Or the driver and the kernel? Or something else low-level?

Is it possible that the Y-cable I use to power the drive somehow confuses the USB-controller? The Vero doesn’t deliver enough power to run the drive by itself so I’ve plugged a Y-cable. That pretty much leads to backpowering the Vero. The drive runs with a normal cable on the laptop that delivers the full USB 2.0 power to the drive.

I understand that there are read errors though. Is it possible that the encrypted DVD comes up as empty when there’s a partial read error? From what I understand, DVDs contain a plethora of data. Among the data, there’s the main movie, but there’s also structure information. Do I get it right, that with the unencrypted DVD, the structural info isn’t read properly but the actual video file plays, but with a commercial DVD, nothing can be decrpyted because encrypted containers tend to go FUBAR when there’s a partial data error?

That sounds horrible. I use a powered USB hub to drive my DVD device.
Do you have any figures for the current needs for the device? I can drive mine from a Pi2 with the max_usb_current enabled (with not much else in the way of load)
Derek

[quote=“dandnsmith, post:8, topic:7942”]
That sounds horrible. I use a powered USB hub to drive my DVD device.Do you have any figures for the current needs for the device? I can drive mine from a Pi2 with the max_usb_current enabled (with not much else in the way of load)Derek
[/quote]I know that the device can’t run from the Pi (which really just provides 100mA) but can ran from the laptop (which readily provides 500mA). I don’t have any figures as of now, I just know that the Vero doesn’t provide enough power.
What is this max_usb_current and can I enable it on the Vero?

This only works on pi. You should try with a powered USB hub so as to prevent the Vero from being back powered.

Is there any way to make the Vero source more current? If I remember well the PSU is raterd for 3.5 A. What is all that power for, since the Vero only has 2 USB slots?

Maybe with a double USB cable? My Samsung 2TB and Toshiba 1TB work well with any device I attached them to, even my small LCD TV.

I really have to get rid of the powered USB hub, my girlfriend hates it, and you know, there’s no way to convince a girl. Plus, the only outstanding feature of the Vero is its design, and the extra cables and hub ruin it.