Problems with profiles

sorry for answering so late, i was blocked because as a new user i am not allowed to write too many replies. i switched in the meanwhile to “local” database and it is working. so it seems like this is a missing feature :slight_smile:
michael

I removed your posting limit.

There is unfortunately alot lacking with Kodi’s MySQL implementation. To me basic things like different watched status per profile

Running independent MySQL databases is 100% supported. What would be great, but is not supported, is having one library with seperate watched status. Running more than one profile that is completely independent of each other works just fine other than the annoyance of having to keep them updated separately.

When you make your profiles set both the media sources and info as ‘separate’. Once you have done this and you browse in the file system you should see in your ‘userdata’ folder, another folder called ‘profiles’ and that should have seperate folders for each profile you created. You will have to make a advancedsettings.xml file in each of the profile folders and they will have to have a name tag that is unique for that profile. You do not/should not do anything at all in MySQL for setting up the profiles. If you plan on using the master profile then you would have one advancedsettings.xml (for the master user) in the ‘userdata’ folder (which is where the master user profile is) and another in ‘userdata/profiles/kids/’.

In your advancedsettings.xml you will need these fields with your own information and the ‘name’ unique for each user…

<advancedsettings>
  <videodatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.254.201</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>xbmc</pass>
    <name>John</name>
  </videodatabase>
  <musicdatabase>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>192.168.254.201</host>
    <port>3306</port>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>xbmc</pass>
  </musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>

Please note that in the above settings the ‘name’ tag is missing from the music section. I do this because I use the same music database in both my profiles. If you wanted independent music you would add a name tag to there as well (you can use the same name as the video section). You don’t have to use MySQL for music and you can omit that section if you want.

The first time you log into each profile after doing this you should have a completely empty library but MySQL should automatically create the database. You will then have to add sources and scrape each one just as if you were dealing with two completely separate installs/machines/whatever. To keep the library updated on both profiles you will have to update each library separately. I have boxes that are normally logged into the two different profiles I run so what I do is just use the web interface (I’m partial to Arch) and have shortcuts in my web browser to my different machines. When I add new content to my library I open my web browser, hit the shortcut for one of my machines and click the update library button, click the shortcut for a machine running the other profile, click the update button on that one, and then both machines get updated. Alternatively when you are running MySQL you could just install Kodi on a PC and update it with that. I often will take care of maintenance from a PC just because it is quicker with a mouse and keyboard than a remote control.

Thank you for removing this limit, this was really blocking me :slight_smile:

Great, thank you for this detailed description. i will try it in the next days.
best regards,
Michael