I have ended up staying up late again but have made some good progress
I have now got the boot process running reasonably smoothly. I’ve gone back to the tried and tested embedded kernel using the mach_kernel approach. I had to do a little bit of hacking to make sure that mach_kernel’s build step wasn’t overriding our installer’s initramfs. When I took care of that, I saw OSMC’s familiar installer spring to life on the Apple TV. There is a bug with it though, so installs don’t work properly just yet, but that should be easy to take care of.
Then, I’ll need to update the Windows, Mac and Linux installers to add Apple TV support and we should be golden.
I’m hoping either this week or the next. Will let you know when test builds are ready.