ProjectM visualization

it’s probably died and been resurrected a few times before but what would be involved in getting projectm (milkdrop) to be enabled in osmc for rpi3, if at all possible? i did get around installing it but it won’t show up in kodi and i understand it may require pulse audio to work. pretty much the only thing missing in my setup is a decent audio visualization. yes, i did install shadertoy and no, i’m not impressed. especially since i mostly listen to internet radio and as a result i’m stuck with the same boring pattern until i choose a different stream, which can be hours.

1 Like

this is a kodi request more then a OSMC feature so head over to the Kodi forum and ask there

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=267606&highlight=projectm+osmc

kodi says it’s an osmc thing. funny that.
it’s okay, i’ll just give up. nothing good willl come from this discussion.

The reply you linked to, from @popcornmix is a year old. A lot happens in a year.

We currently only build it for AppleTV. If I remember correctly, it wasn’t working correctly on GLES platforms at the time, so it was excluded. It probably works fine now.

I’ll look at building and including the visualizations for GLES platforms in the next release, and let you know if we make some progress.

Would you be willing to test?

Cheers

Sam

thanks for your very concise reply.
of course i’d be willing to test. can you PM me for more info please?

I will let you know when/if things are ready for testing.

The instructions should be simple enough for you to follow, as you have said you are familiar with Linux.

Sam

After a quick chat, @popcornmix suspects that only shadertoy, spectrum and waveform work with GLES platforms. This would mean that it wouldn’t be possible to run projectm on the Raspberry Pi at this time.

I will nonetheless do a test build and see what happens…

1 Like

It might work if you build against mesa but will be slow as hell.

Somebody might need to put some effort into porting it properly. Or you could use a wrapper like gl4es.

@popcornmix’s suggested add-ons build. Need to check with the rest now.

Nope – doesn’t work. At least not yet. Sorry.

1 Like

I’m absolutely willing to test!

It doesn’t work, it’s a limitation of GLES platforms unfortunately. Those visualisations only work with OpenGL